Clever Girl's Reviews > Donna of the Dead

Donna of the Dead by Alison Kemper

Action packed and exciting with laugh out loud humor and unexpectedly moving moments.

Donna is very much a teenage girl, sarcastic, boy obsessed, self-absorbed, but unlike other teenage girls she hears voices in her head, a cool - and handy - addition to the plot. I thought Donna's reactions to the zombie apocalypse were believable. The zombie apocalypse doesn't automatically turn her into a fearless zombie killing machine, she's scared, she freezes, she runs, but as the story progresses Donna begins to learn just what she's capable of.

Liam? Eh. I could see why Donna liked him - who doesn't like a guy with a good vocabulary - but I'd rather talk about Deke. Deke was awesome, both as a best friend to Donna and as a zombie slayer. That boy definitely knows his way around a baseball bat. He's smart and honest and knows how to give a girl a good kick in the pants. I liked that he never gave up on Donna, even when she disappointed him or failed to live up to his expectations. He encouraged her to be a better person, to be braver, to think of others, to sacrifice, to keep it together. to keep hope alive.

I liked how well thought out the plot was, the zombie mythology, the hows and whys of the pandemics, the reasons for all their stumbling blocks. And I loved the MacGuyver like solutions they develop to protect themselves, they're not farfetched but they're also effective - and entertaining.

[They're throwing books at the zombies]
"Throw Moby Dick. I hated that one."
"Where's Twilight?"
"No," Tara squeals. "Don't throw Twilight." (loc 4507)

Donna of the Deal is well written, entertaining tale, I'll definitely be on the lookout for future releases by Alison Kemper!

ebook provided in exchange for an honest review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Donna of the Dead.

February 24, 2014 – Shelved