Sarah's Reviews > Blades of the Old Empire

Blades of the Old Empire by Anna Kashina

F 50x66
Feb 25, 14

Read from February 24 to 25, 2014

(I received a free copy of this book from Angry Robot Ltd, through NetGalley, in exchange for a review).

(This review may contain spoilers).

I found myself able to get into this book really quickly. The world came across as fairly strong and detailed and the characters were interesting and engaging.

Although the characters were clearly already established ones, I didn't have any problems getting to know them. For the most part, they were really well-written, though I can't see any good qualities to the bad guys.

The concept of the Majat was quite an interesting one, though it took me a while to realise that King Evan's whole guard were of the order. I particularly liked Mai as a character, though I couldn't see how he'd developed his feelings for one of the characters later. I hardly saw them interact with each other at all.

I liked the concept of the magic in the book and the testing of children was something that came across really well. I cringed inwardly at the mention of the succession thing, though. I'm glad I didn't see it used in the book.

I could really believe in Kyth's feelings for Kara. I felt that their relationship was one of the strongest in the whole book. I would have liked to see more of Kyth and Evan interacting, though. I always like to see family-style relationships.

I did feel sorry for Ellah by the end of the book. I do think there were a lot of characters who had romantic feelings for each other.

I thought the book was, on the whole, really well-written. There were quite a few scenes that I could picture really easily in my mind and there were several moments where I found it really intense and wanted to see what was going to happen.

At some point, I definitely intend/want to read the other books in this series.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blades of the Old Empire.

02/24/2014 marked as: currently-reading