Ren the Unclean's Reviews > The Year of the Flood

Jan 23, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fi-sci
Read from October 01 to November 01, 2011

This book is not as strong as Oryx and Crake. It covers a similar timeline, from the point of view of two other characters, but doesn't do so as well as the first book did. It does give interesting insight into the pre-catastrophe world, from the point of view of someone other than Snowman, however.

The characters are fairly interesting and definitely well written, but the things they do are largely irrelevant to the larger story that is outlined in Oryx and Crake. This book might be better on its own, but as part of this series, it doesn't really add much. This may change with the third book, since the purpose of this second one is largely to introduce Ren and Toby to the reader.

One problem I had with this book is that everything is very convenient. Ren and Toby's tangential involvement with Snowman, Oryx, and Crake seems sort of tacked on, and their survival along with the survival of other major characters in this book seems too unlikely. Granted we are following them because they are important and their survival can be explained by their preparedness (even though many of them survive by what is essentially luck), but it undermines the dystopian, post-apocalyptic world when the apocalypse happened to miss so many characters that are connected to each other.

Either way, this book is good, if not as good as the first. I would definitely recommend it if you liked Oryx and Crake, as the insight into the world is valuable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of the Flood.

Dave I agree about Ren and Toby's interactions with Snowman feeling out of place. While I enjoyed The Year of the Flood, I didn't go into it thinking of it as a direct part of a series, but as a book set in the same universe. I think it would have been better if they had kept the stories completely separate.