P๏€cɨℓią* ~SLiTsRead's Reviews > White Hot Kiss

White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L. Armentrout

bookshelves: favorites

UNIQUE, FUNNY, AND JUST PLAIN AMAZING

It might be hard to believe. Yes, I love YA and I love the paranormal. But, no, I'm not a fan of Jennifer L. Armentrout. Well, now I am. I had read several books from her Lux series and just found it so so. But, this? This is seriously good. Lets make a quick list of all the things I loved:
- unique fresh intake
- HOT (yet very PG-13) makeout scene
- No cliff
- one POV
- love triangle

Yes, there IS a love triangle. But, no need to fret, it is a good one. I can promise you that you won't hate the heroine because of it. What I especially loved was the plot. It SO reminded me of Supernatural, my FAV show. There was the impending apocalypse, demons, angels, and Impala etc etc.

The writing was just fantastic! Here is one of the scenes.
The space around the hunched driver was blacker than any shadow, thick like oil. Thin silvers of silver, tiny specks of humanity, peeked through the darkness of his soul, barely there. His soul spread out from him, seeping through the front of the taxi, slipping over the dashboard and crawling over the window.
It's like watching a movie. Isn't it?

I loved how the humor was used. It was unique and not formulaic at all.
At some point, Roth had gotten hold of my cell and replaced Zayne's name with Stony and listed his own number under Sexy Beast. What a tool.
LOL LOL LOL. I'd lost count how many times I laughed out loud while reading this.

I loved the message that not everything is black and white, and that love changes you. Roth, being a demon, was the most honest and had Layla's best interest in heart. The Warren, on the other hand, being the guardians of the upside, did not. They were really a bunch of bigotry idiots. (view spoiler)

I'd read that the exclusive excerpt at the end of the novel is ONLY available in the PRINT EDITION, which is exactly what I got. It was actually by chance that I saw it, in a drugstore out of ALL places! I had to do a double take because it was several days before the release. I actually didn't plan to buy it (like I said before I was not a fan LOL stupid me) but after reading a couple of pages, I was completely hooked. I just loved the humor and the style of writing. I was convinced after just a few paragraphs that I would love this. And, I was right!

Wait.. ..what was I saying... Yes, the excerpt. The excerpt was written in Roth POV, gave us a little insight of how he felt towards Layla. I do love to know what the other character is thinking and this is the perfect way to do it. Often I find it rather disruptive when the story has multiple POVs. With just one, it's easier to immerse into the story.

Almost forgot to mention, I also liked Bambi, the snake. Didn't I say that this was unique? Even the naming is unique. I don't mind the cats neither. They're cute, even with the pointy teeth.

I recommend this to all fans of Supernatural, and all readers that love the paranormal.

Also posted @ http://slitsread.wordpress.com/2014/0...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Hot Kiss.

February 23, 2014 – Started Reading
February 23, 2014 – Shelved
page 1
0.26% "OMG OMG I found this @ London Drugs out of all places :D"
page 17
4.38% "LOL "demons were anatomically correct""
page 21
5.41% "COOL"
page 25
6.44% "that's funny, gargoyle prefers the roof over a bed"
page 83
21.39% "stone freaks LOL I like that term"
page 89
22.94% "Roth is cool!"
page 92
23.71% "YES!! "Free will is bullshit""
page 111
28.61% "Zayne u suck"
page 136
35.05% "awww"
page 281
72.42% "too easy.... a setup?"
page 327
84.28% "lemme guess....he's hanging around while being invisible"
page 342
88.14% "oh wow that I didn't see coming"
page 373
96.13% "NONONONONO"
February 25, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites
February 25, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD Awesome! A must read!

message 2: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Great review poe!

P๏€cɨℓią* ~SLiTsRead :D Thx Chelsea.
Yes CasPerfitz, it's one of those you have to read it before you die.

CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD LOL... alrighty then, I better make sure to read it soonest!

Tanya Great review Poe!