melydia's Reviews > Peeps

Peeps by Scott Westerfeld

We might call them vampires, but in Cal's world, they're called "parasite positives," or peeps. They have similar symptoms: an aversion to sunshine and other familiar things, a thirst for blood, an affinity for rats, that sort of thing. Shortly after starting college in New York City, Cal spends the night with a woman and winds up a carrier of the disease himself - all the special powers without the nasty side-effects - and is later recruited to help hunt down all the women he's infected. The idea of vampirism-as-disease is not new, but I'd never seen it done quite like this before. Every other chapter is about real-life parasites, so if you're squeamish about such things, you probably want to skip those parts. Personally, I found it all fascinating (if a bit stomach-churning at points), and I enjoyed Cal's adventures as a peep hunter as well - like many of Westerfeld's characters, he's quite likable. I'm looking forward to the sequel, as the story is clearly ramping up to something big.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peeps.

February 23, 2014 – Started Reading