Lauren's Reviews > The Shadow Cabinet

The Shadow Cabinet by Maureen Johnson

liked it
bookshelves: pub-penguin, 2015

3.5 stars. Well the wait for this one was a long time coming. I wasn't sure if I could continue after the last book, but I ended up enjoying this one overall.

A few quick things - this book is hard to discuss without spoilers, so I've hidden a lot, just in case:

1) This book was less about solving ghost crimes - not as many ghost interactions as a whole, I think. But it was more personal, and focused on the aftermath of what happened at the end of book 2. How the characters cope, but also how it all connects to some other strange happening. There was more of a mystical look at the whole death and dying phenomenon. (That's vague, but I'll put more direct info in the spoiler). (view spoiler)

2) Rory continues to be chatty, though she's more broken in this book, which is very much expected. She's not always the most observant and has some moments of being passive - or conversely doing impulsive things without thinking them through. But I still really like her. She is very much the youngest and the newest to these ghost seeing police. But she is learning, and keeps going forward during some very tough times. Rory also manages to mostly come out all right in the end, despite me wanting to yell at her a few times.

3) This book wasn't as emotionally wrecking as it could have been, but it's also not as emotionally satisfying as I'd hope it would be. Honestly, this would have been a 4 star read, except for this point. After a 2 year wait, I needed more. (view spoiler)

4) This book introduces us to Sadie and Sid, who are very mysterious and intriguing characters who connect to the happenings I noted in the first point. Rory also spends more time with Thorpe, the MI5 overseer of Stephen's group, and I liked his inclusion. Of course Callum and Boo are around, though I wanted more of them. And we meet a new character, Freddie, who I hope is going to be a great addition to the mix. (view spoiler)

5) This book doesn't end on a real cliffhanger, but it's definitely not the end of the series. Some things are set up for the future, and I don't see a lot of tie in to the original Ripper plot line. This book definitely widens the overall focus - a lot of the directional transition I sensed in The Madness Underneath, is made clear here. The Shadow Cabinet is a much more solid book than 2 was, and I found aspect of the plot surprising and engaging. This time, I didn't feel so much like I was waiting for Rory to catch up to where I was in the story. However, as I mentioned above, after a huge cliffhanger and a long wait, I wanted more emotional satisfaction from this one.

Love Triangle Factor: Hmmm. I'm going to go with LOW, but this one is tough. (view spoiler)

Cliffhanger scale: Low/Medium. Set up for a future book. But this plot works itself out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow Cabinet.

February 23, 2014 – Shelved
February 23, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
January 27, 2015 – Shelved as: pub-penguin
February 22, 2015 – Started Reading
February 22, 2015 –
page 57
page 168
page 224
59.57% "What have you done, Rory?"
page 245
65.16% "This is not the same thing at all, RORY. What are you doiiiiing???"
page 264
February 24, 2015 –
page 293
February 24, 2015 – Finished Reading
May 3, 2016 – Shelved as: 2015

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen Ryland Interesting. (I read all the spoilers!) I'll be reading this soon and you've given me a good idea what to expect.