Morgan's Reviews > The Thin Place

liked it
Recommended to Morgan by: nobody--a Marilyn Leinhos loaner
Recommended for: not sure
Read from January 20 to 22, 2010

A puzzle of a novel. I think I like it--not sure yet. No, I'm sure, I am lukewarm about it. Expected more emphasis on the "thin place" where the boundaries between people living and desd become opaque, thinner.

I'm 3/4's through and still only mildly interested. I would prefer that the author choose one main character (MEES?) and follow her, with many asides for the outlook of the others --human and animal--and more emphasis on plot advancement. I have not been able to engage with or care about anyone deeply, and for me this is a kiss-off sign, tells me to set the book down and go on to something that captures me. In one way, Davis attempts to capture the whole world of this town in summer, but I think she spread herself too thin so it becomes "the human story" and "the plant and animal story", too universal, not character or plot-specific enough (for me).

EVEN SO: I know many consider her gifted. God, I wish I could write as well as she does--some of her character's insights and outlooks are luminous.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thin Place.