Byron's Reviews > The Razor's Edge

The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham

U 50x66
Feb 22, 2014

liked it

This was my second time reading Maugham's grand opus on existentialism. What is the purpose of life? Why are we here? What makes for a meaningful life?

Nonetheless, I came away somewhat disappointed when compared to the first time I read this novel some 30 + years ago. When I first read it, I was thoroughly absorbed by Maugham's writing style and insight into human affairs. I was satisfied with the ending and it served as a great preliminary introduction to Eastern and/or Indian mysticism.

Reading it a second time, I was slightly less impressed. I believe this has to do with the fact that I didn't like the style of Maugham's writing. He wrote long-winded sentences that in today's fiction just don't read well. I found myself forced to reread certain phrases because I felt he was trying to stuff too much description when it wasn't needed. He also wrote too many empty phrases describing a character's physique or reaction to a particular situation. Descriptions of Larry's smile, for example, just fell flat for me. This novel is essentially one long conversation between the author and the principal characters. There's no action in it at all.

What I always loved about Maugham was his observations about humanity. And this novel includes some prescient ones. His observations about marriage, morality, God, were just as validating to me as the first time I read them. I believe Maughm was gay. I think it's because of Mr. Maugham's sexual orientation that he's able to express such discernment into heterosexual relations.

I love this story not just because it focuses on one person's search for the meaning and purpose of existence but how Maugham uses as a backdrop the contrast between the "gay" 20's with the Depression 30s as a way of reminding the wealthy that they too are not immune to the unpredictability of life's economics. Of course, noblesse oblige saves the day for Isabel and Grey, thanks to charming but snobby, Uncle Elliott.

I also like how much Larry actually learned about himself from his sojourn to India. He gained tremendous acuity about human consciousness and spirit, something Isabel was never interested in. And in the end, each character finds what they are looking for. It's a very satisfactory conclusion. I also did not recall that the second to last chapter is really where Mr. Maugham shines as he delves into Larry's pursuit of Indian mysticism. You could really skip everything that precedes this chapter and just read it as a stand alone. From this chapter you would learn everything you need to know about Larry's quest for meaning. It was this chapter that introduced me to Brahmanism.

My only quibble, again, has to do with Somerset's writing style. I don't think it has aged well. I love the 1946 movie version of Razor's Edge. It sorely lacked specifics about Larry's sojourn into India and that remains the weakest part of the film. Otherwise, the acting is uniformly excellent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Razor's Edge.

February 22, 2014 – Started Reading