Giovanna's Reviews > If You Find Me

If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch

23204207

“If you find me, take me home.”

4.5 (maybe?)

I admit it...I got all teary eyed at some point. And well, that doesn't happen that often.

Carey and Jenessa live in a camper in the heart of the woods. It's been like this since their mom took them away, claiming that their dad was abusing them. But now Carey's mom is never there. And where she is she smells of smoke and meth and of the men she takes home with her. So Carey takes care of her sister until, one day, they find them.
And they decide to take them home, since their mom abandoned them. But in the woods Carey hid a secret and what if they find that too?

Sometimes you can find the best things in a surprising (and unexpectedly deep) book. I don't even know why I bought If you find me. It wasn't a book I desperately wanted but still, I saw it in my wishlist. And like, bought the hardcover. Finally, after weeks of "meh" books, I found the right one.

If you find me deals with heavy topics, like abuse and guilt and survival and it manages to do so splendidly. It's such a small book, not even 300 pages, but there is so much emotion hidden behind these pages. Carey had to grow up really fast; having to take for her sister in the woods made her become extremely mature for her age, but at the same time what made her perfect in the heart of the woods makes her feel like a fish out of water in the city. She has to take care of Jenessa, while trying to adjust to a completely new life, with a new family and the trouble that going to school, with people everywhere, represents for her. You can take the girl out of the woods, but can you take the woods out of the girl?

I really liked how Murdoch built this family. It wasn't easy for Carey and Jenessa to adjust to the new situation but the same goes for Delaney, who suddenly finds herself with two new sisters.

The ending was a little too abrupt for me and that's why I won't give If you find me five stars, but trust me, it's a book I'd recommend to anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You Find Me.

February 22, 2014 – Shelved
February 22, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
May 1, 2015 – Started Reading
May 1, 2015 –
page 64
21.92% "Really like this one so far çwç"
May 1, 2015 –
page 178
60.96% "Oh, well...I actually didn't expect to like this so much çwç"
May 2, 2015 –
page 242
82.88% "Reading two books that I am really enjoying. YES finally"
May 2, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Claudia (new) - added it

Claudia No vabbè, ce l'avevo in wishlist e l'avevo totalmente rimosso xD

Giovanna Ahahahahah