Tony Taylor's Reviews > London

London by Edward Rutherfurd

Jan 21, 2010

Read in August, 1998 — I own a copy

Edward Rutherfurd belongs to the James Michener school: he writes big, sprawling history-by- the-pound. His novel, London, stretches two millennia all the way from Roman times to the present. The author places his vignettes at the most dramatic moments of that city's history, leaping from Caesar's invasion to the Norman Conquest to the Great Fire to (of course) the Blitz, with many stops in between. London is ambitious, and students of English history will eat it up. The author doesn't skimp on historical detail, and that's a signal pleasure of the book. Ultimately, though, the structure of the novel determines the lion's share of its success. Rutherfurd is a good storyteller and each vignette makes for a good story; however, he has given himself the inevitable task of beginning what amounts to a new book every 40 pages or so. Just as one begins to warm to the characters, they are hurried off the stage. You can't read London without a scorecard—but that's part of the fun.

Historical Fiction. The novel covers the major historical events in the history of London. The book follows several families throughout numerous generations as the different events occur. The author used aritfacts from the Museum of London to inspire the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read London.

07/02 marked as: read

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill Moore Tony you've ben sprung! You have copied the synopsis from The Thorn Birds to the wrong book review :)

Tony Taylor Thanks... I appreciate your catching this. In face, London is really one of my favorite books in my library since I lived in London for a couple of years in the late '50.

I have been catching up to include not only books recently read, but also those in my library. So as not to take forever including my own comments on those books in my library, I have been doing a copy and past on the synopsis just as my own reminder.

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill Moore That's not a bad idea actually. I only noticed because I love to read the reviews as they appear and I saw two the same. :) Cheers