Caroline's Reviews > Sickened: The Memoir of a Munchausen by Proxy Childhood

Sickened by Julie Gregory

Jan 21, 2010

bookshelves: jan2010, family, coming-of-age, nonfic
Read in January, 2010

The entire time I read this book, I was screaming in my head. Giving the riot act to the doctors to the father to the social workers that turned a blind eye. I was just as bewildered and pleading as Julie as, watching the doctors slice her open when nothing was wrong.

I understood Julie. I can remember countless times, my eyes screamed volumes that no one wanted to hear or understand. And how everyone turns away, or shakes their head in disagreement but not one single adult will stand up for you. I understand what it's like to be a child confronted the rage of an adult, having done nothing to cause it. How you try to make yourself small, to try to stay out of sight. I know what it's like to try to do as many after school activities as possible because home was the last place you wanted to go back to.

This is why this story spoke volumes to me- it was the desperation. Children go through this everyday. They spend their childhood afraid, and once they hit adulthood with all these hangups-that are there no matter how well hidden they are. They have to work years at undoing what was done. . It's just so unfair.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sickened.

06/10/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Thanks for sharing your experience. It is in these moments I wish I could be omnipotent and protect all children at once all the time until Christ returns. Love to you and hugs to you across the space between us.

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary I'm sorry you had to go through such a hellish childhood, Caroline, and hope that your life is better now that you're no longer at the mercy of your abusive dad.

Laura I too am sorry you had to experience that. Reading this book, and I'm only half way through, it's good but it makes me so angry, not just at the parents, but the doctors who are all seeing this girl and just not piecing it together. I suppose it was difficult to imagine in that time that a parent would be doing this to a girl, but why can't someone see? And you are right, it is incredibly unfair.

message 4: by Audrey (new) - added it

Audrey I tried to get the legal system intervene on behalf of a child within the context of a custody processing, and it as not until the courage of a judge to recognize "a problem" that intervention was had and a child ultimately saved. Nevertheless lt took 7 long years for justice to prevail.

Nanci Working with children and experiencing this with them was one of the most frustrating parts of my job. People just don't get this or believe it and it takes so much time while the child continues to suffer. Caroline, I am so sorry for your past abuse and the suffering you are continuing today due to what you were so unjustly subjected to while just a beautiful innocent child. My heart breaks for you and I pray you'll find the peace you so deserve.
Fellow readers, you have done a very good thing educating yourself about this horrific mental health disease. Now if you see symptoms in a child you know please take the next step and report it. Keep reporting until someone believes you and takes action. If you are currently being abused, tell and keep telling until someone helps you. As a former school counselor that is part of my job and duty and I am mandated by law to help you. If you yourself are an abuser, please get the help you need. Most likely you too were a victim. Break the cycle of abuse. You can do it and your life will be so much better.

message 6: by Thaarane (last edited Jan 26, 2016 05:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thaarane Sethunathan This book was an extremely hard book to read and I agree with your point about her desperation. Julie had to watch her childhood be stripped away and the lack of reactions from the adults in her life was as sickening to read about as well as her mother's abuse. Though the book was frustrating at times like you said, I hope you no longer have to live in an environment that makes you relate to a victim of abuse. As a fellow reader, seeing that the book impacted you and brought up many emotions shows me that Julie Gregory did a great job in conveying her message in a well thought out way. Gregory wrote this memoir in a way that I could relate to her just like you had mentioned. Her childhood was stolen from her and a large part of her adult life was still traumatized by the affects of her mothers mistreatment. I hope more people can be exposed to this book so that they can not be a bystander like the doctors and social workers were.

Caroline I want to thank you all for your comments. Things are better now, and it's nothing that plagues me. Just reading subjects such as this brings back bad ghosts is all...