Crowinator's Reviews > The Goblin Emperor

The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison

We thoroughly enjoyed this book, but we have been unable to stop thinking in the majestic plural for many hours after reading many passages of dialogue written as such. We fear that our adoption of this narrative strategy will result in some confusion amongst our peers and are attempting to restrict it to our thoughts and not our spoken words. We could not avoid writing a brief and enthusiastic recommendation for this most absorbing high fantasy novel; however, we will bide our time until this strange feeling has passed before we write the rest of our summation.

Until then.

June 2019 update: We started doing short recommended read blurbs at my library and I had to push my favorite book to re-read in dark times, so here's what I wrote:

Do you have a favorite novel that you re-read every year? This is mine. This absorbing high fantasy novel is hopeful, heartfelt, and focused on characters who choose kindness and empathy over and over, even in circumstances when one might turn to cynicism. The story follows Maya, the half-goblin son of the elvish Emperor, who has lived his entire life in exile. When his father and all his other heirs die in an “accident”, Maya becomes Emperor and must navigate an Imperial court filled with deadly intrigue. This is not your typical, by-the-numbers lost heir story; it’s rich, sophisticated, and political, full of steampunk technology, dark magic, and courtly intrigue. You will be charmed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goblin Emperor.

February 21, 2014 – Shelved
February 21, 2014 – Shelved as: must-read-asap
March 10, 2014 – Shelved as: netgalley-edelweiss
March 17, 2014 – Started Reading
March 17, 2014 –
24.0% "So far, the only conflicts have been intellectual, conniving ones, not action-based, so it'll be interesting to see what happens when the claws come out. So far I'm fascinated."
March 18, 2014 –
44.0% "Why am I addicted to this extremely labyrinthine political fantasy novel?"
March 19, 2014 –
84.0% "WHY DO I HAVE TO SLEEP!?"
March 20, 2014 – Shelved as: adult
March 8, 2018 – Shelved as: 2015-reads
March 8, 2018 – Shelved as: 2016-reads
March 8, 2018 – Shelved as: 2017-reads
January 29, 2019 – Shelved as: 2018-reads

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Shveta (new) - added it

Shveta Thakrar I meant to tell you, there's some related quiz about the book on Tor.com.

Crowinator Oooh, I'll check it out. Thanks Shveta!

Shannon This review made me happy. :) Such a lovely book. I kept thinking today how eager I was to get back to it, only to sadly remember I had finished it.

Nenya We are having the same difficulty--if difficulty it may be properly called--along with the urge to style ourself by some noble elvish title! (Though, truly, it was the Athmaza that caught our interest most.)

Sarah (A French Girl) Lol, I couldn't stopping thinking as "we" instead of "I" once I finished this book! Nice review!

message 6: by C (new) - rated it 3 stars

C We've been having the exact same issue, and we are uncertain if we care enough to stop doing so.

Rachel C. We just finished listening to it for perhaps the 3rd time and seem to be suffering the same affliction.

message 8: by Sasha (new) - added it

Sasha We are afflicted by a similar blight.

Crowinator (c: to all of you! Since I originally wrote this, I have read this stupid book at least 5 more times.

message 10: by Sasha (new) - added it

Sasha It's a moving testament to just.. decency? That's why I loved it.

Errol Seymour We find this most relatable, cousin

Crowinator I wish I could like comments. These are all fun.

Viola Your review made me pick up the book. I loved it. Thank you :)

Crowinator Viola wrote: "Your review made me pick up the book. I loved it. Thank you :)"

Wow, thank you, what a compliment! Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad you loved the book. I still re-read it every year, especially when I'm down. (c: