Rachel's Reviews > The Mango Season

The Mango Season by Amulya Malladi

Nov 03, 2007

Recommended for: anyone
Read in October, 2007

In reading The Mango Season, I was introduced to a country and culture that I knew nothing about. You are immediately drawn into the culture of India, and the values of Indian family life. It is Mango Season and Priya returns home to tell her parents of news she knows they won’t want to hear. She has become engaged to everything that they are against. Living in the United States, Priya meets an American man and falls in love. Returning home to face the sweltering summer heat, the mango harvest, and her family has consequences that she is far from prepared for. She becomes taken aback by her lack of ability to accept the cultural things that were once second nature to her.
This book is written with such vivid detail that it automatically becomes a page-turner. I couldn’t put it down for even a minute once I got into it. The characters are so interesting and the events that are natural to their society seem so foreign to me, making it all the more interesting. While reading I could smell the mangos and hear each character’s voices. “My lips twitched into a smile as I remembered how the remnants of mango pickle lay on discarded plates of food after a meal- the core of the mango stones lay in bloody red oil like dead and mutilated soldiers in a battlefield of yogurt and rice. I used to think it was barbaric, eating the pickle with bare hands, tearing into the fleshy part of the mango that stuck to the core. Now I thought it was exotic…” Page 66

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mango Season.

03/10 marked as: read