Whitley Birks's Reviews > Fire & Flood

did not like it
bookshelves: dnf, 2014

I GIVE UP.

I SURRENDER.

JUST ANYTHING TO STOP GOING THROUGH THIS BOOK.

This wasn't even the worst book I've gone through on my blog, but that just contributed to its utter boredom. There wasn't even (much) for me to rag on. It was just bland event after bland event, all of it poorly described, with no context, no detail, and no consequences. Tella gets a rash, then forgets about. Tella gets chased by monkeys, then after they're gone never mentions them again. Tella gets an illogical ever-bleeding wound that she rubs germs into, and then it's completely forgotten. Tella jumps in a river, almost drowns, and sprains her ankle, but after she runs on it for a while she's perfectly fine and it's never mentioned again. Horrific, brain-breaking stereotypes appear to try and kill everyone for completely unexplained reasons, and then they vanish and no one talks about them again.

That's it. That's the whole book. Things that could be interesting, described in an absolute minimum of detail and never having any result at all. The whole thing is just a series of vague actions that add up to fuck-all nothing because they don't even add.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire & Flood.

February 21, 2014 – Shelved
February 21, 2014 – Shelved as: 0-no-interest-skip
April 16, 2014 – Shelved as: d-maybe-for-blog
October 30, 2014 – Started Reading
November 3, 2014 –
page 36
11.8% "Today on the blog, this book is a hot mess of semi-decent stuff and WTF."
December 11, 2014 –
page 181
59.34% "Today, I become so annoyed with the lack of depth in this book that I break my capslock button."
December 12, 2014 – Shelved as: dnf
December 12, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014
December 12, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Rebeca (new)

Rebeca It's okay Whitley D: You made it as far as you could. I'll send hugs and comfort tea your way.

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) I am trying to read this one right now and I feel just how you did..please don't make me continue!:(