Katy's Reviews > New Watch

New Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko

Feb 21, 2014

bookshelves: galley-for-review, vine-book, upcoming-pub
Recommended to Katy by: Amazon Vine
Recommended for: fans of UF, series, complex stories

Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy/Magical Reality
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of series, urban fantasy, magical reality
Book Available: April 22, 2014 in paperback, Kindle, and audio book (MP3 or CD)
Trigger Warnings: Danger to child, mention of rape in historical context, killing

My Thoughts: A few years ago, when I read The Last Watch, I thought the series was finished. Fortunately that was not the case. In fact, looking at the Russian language series information, I see that there are a few more books yet to be translated into English and released in the US, and I'm very excited about this.

Lukyanenko is a highly prolific writer, and has very talented translators that allow the ideas behind his stories to come through clearly, which is not always the case in translated literature. As this series continues to unfold, we learn more and more about not only the Others, but also about the magic system and the world created. I think this author is one that all fans of urban fantasy, magical reality, and fantasy will enjoy. The characters are fascinatingly multifaceted and quirky and often not at all what you would expect based upon their introduction. I love that the world is so deeply covered in shades of gray, that there is no real black and white.

If you enjoy complex stories, no moral absolutism, and characters that force you out of your comfort zone, these books are awesome. I do recommend reading the series in order for maximum enjoyment.

Series Information: The Night Watch series
Book 1: Night Watch, review linked here
Book 2: Day Watch, review linked here
Book 3: Twilight Watch, review linked here
Book 4: The Last Watch, read but not reviewed, 5 stars
Book 5: New Watch, available April 22, 2014

Disclosure: I received an ARC (unproofed) copy of this book from the Amazon Vine program in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Walking the streets of our cities are the Others. These men and women are guardians of the Twilight, a shadowy parallel world that exists alongside our own. Each has sworn allegiance to one side, fighting for the Light, or the Darkness. But now, beyond the continuing struggle comes a peril that threatens their very world .

At Moscow airport, Higher Light Magician Anton Gorodetsky overhears a child screaming that a plane is about to crash. He discovers that the child is a prophet: an Other with the gift of foretelling the future. When the catastrophe is averted, Gorodetsky senses a disruption in the natural order, one that is confirmed by the arrival of a dark and terrifying predator.

From the Night Watch headquarters Gorodetsky travels to London, to Taiwan and across Russia in search of clues, unearthing as he goes a series of increasingly cataclysmic prophecies. He soon realises that what is at stake is the existence of the Twilight itself—and that only he will be able to save it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New Watch.

February 21, 2014 – Shelved
March 10, 2014 –
page 85
March 10, 2014 –
page 89
23.99% "A good idea... in theory...\n \n "
March 11, 2014 –
page 123
33.15% "There needs to be a fine line between pragmatism and being willing to protect the innocent. There are times when I think egoists are better than idealists."
March 12, 2014 –
page 129
March 13, 2014 –
page 159
March 13, 2014 –
page 163
page 216
page 228
61.46% "I live in Russia... We have no paths at all, only directions, but that has never disconcerted us."
page 234
March 15, 2014 –
page 248
page 261
page 269
page 271
March 17, 2014 –
page 275
74.12% "And now we see some of the amusingly boring bureaucracy with which Anton must deal when he is not out doing heroic things.\n "
March 17, 2014 –
page 280
March 18, 2014 –
page 325
March 18, 2014 –
page 329
March 20, 2014 –
page 384
100% "Working on review."
March 20, 2014 – Finished Reading