Jennifer Lavoie's Reviews > I Kill the Mockingbird

I Kill the Mockingbird by Paul Acampora

Feb 20, 2014

bookshelves: adventure, based-on-classics, comedy, family, friends, ebooks, making-changes, netgalley

I wish I had written this book.

When I saw the title and premise of this book, I knew I had to read it. It speaks to me as a seventh grader whose favorite book was To Kill a Mockingbird. It speaks to me as an eighth grade teacher whose cat is named after Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird. It speaks to me as a former bookseller who loved enthusiastic young readers.

Lucy, Michael, and Elena are great characters who decide to make a classic American novel popular again in honor of their deceased teacher. What starts as small mischief ends up becoming a nationwide phenomenon that gets out of control.

But it's about more than that. Lucy is dealing with her mother recovering from cancer while falling for one of her best friends. Elena lives with her uncle Mort who owns a bookshop. And Michael lives with his single mother. So while each character deals with their own struggles, they maintain their friendship and have a crazy summer.

I can't wait to put this book in my classroom to show my students how creative and passionate readers are while still being as cool as Michael. I hope I can be as inspiring as Fat Bob one day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Kill the Mockingbird.

Started Reading
February 20, 2014 – Shelved as: netgalley
February 20, 2014 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Paul (new) - added it

Paul Acampora Dear Jennifer,
I'm really glad you enjoyed the book! I had a lot of fun writing it. Thanks so much for spending time with my work. Best wishes to you and your students!
Sincerely,
Paul Acampora

Jennifer Lavoie Paul wrote: "Dear Jennifer,
Sincerely,
Paul Acampora"

Loved it! And I'm so glad it takes place in Connecticut. I live and teach in CT, and as soon as I saw some of the cities I was excited! I know my students will get a kick out of that!

message 3: by Paul (new) - added it

Paul Acampora Thanks! Hurray for Connecticut!! Your students might enjoy knowing that my first two novels (and lots of short stories) are set in fictionalized versions of Bristol where I grew up. There's lots more going on there than just espn! I put this one sort of near Windsor because I'd hoped to include a lot about the history of tobacco in Connecticut. I had this whole crazy sub-plot about Martin Luther King Jr. who actually picked tobacco in Simsbury when he was a college kid. Almost none of that survived to the final draft. Maybe next time!

Jennifer Lavoie NO WAY!!! I'm from Bristol too!!! Definitely need to read the other books now! I taught at Memorial Boulevard until it closed two years ago :(

message 5: by Paul (new) - added it

Paul Acampora Seriously? Most of my family is still in Bristol. I'm in town at least every other month. I went to St. Paul's H.S. and St. Joe's before that. I grew up behind Stafford School, played year-round at Page Park, swam at Lake Compounce, raced soap box derby cars down James P. Casey Rd., got tons of stitches at Bristol Hospital (my mom was a nurse there), did the Mum parade, got apples at Minors... All the Acampora's in Bristol are my aunts, uncles, parents, siblings and/or cousins. Small world!

Jennifer Lavoie Paul wrote: "Seriously? Most of my family is still in Bristol. I'm in town at least every other month. I went to St. Paul's H.S. and St. Joe's before that. I grew up behind Stafford School, played year-round at..."

That's awesome! I went to St. Matthew's, then Chippens, and Central. My mom's a teacher at Central. I used to live on Mill Street behind Rockwell Park, and then we moved to a street off of Burlington Ave. Man, Bristol was so awesome in the good old days! HA! I remember when Rockwell Park still had that pond. In the winter we would ice skate on it, and in the summer went swimming. And they had that awesome spring fed fountain that we drank from, and the ice cream truck used to go there every day. We used to sled down the hill at Nelson's Field. Ahhh, good times! Bristol might be large, but it's seriously a small town!

message 7: by Paul (new) - added it

Paul Acampora I tell people that Bristol is 60,000 people, but it's the same 60,000 people for the past 200 hundred years. One of my best friends from forever, Laurie (Burke) Roberge, is on the faculty at Central. Ask your Mom to tell her I said hi. It will make Laurie laugh. In the meantime, I hope our paths will cross one day. If your students enjoy the books -- or even if they don't :) -- I'd be happy to do something with your class one day if you'd like. Like I said, I'm in Bristol all the time. Nice talking with you!