Paula Weston's Reviews > Bitter Wash Road

Bitter Wash Road by Garry Disher

bookshelves: australian, crime, literary

This was my first Garry Disher novel and it blew me away. His writing is sublime - so sparse, yet so evocative - and the mood he creates in the unforgiving mid-north South Australian setting is palpable.

I grew up not far from the (fictitiously named) landscapes, which no doubt helped me connect to the setting. The sights, sounds, smells and characters brought back a rush of memories for me and Disher uses phrases and descriptions I wish I'd written.

This is a dark thriller - perfectly paced and perfectly unsettling. I love Peter Temple's crime thrillers and Disher occupies the same space: gritty, tightly written stories that are unashamedly Australian and that unfold in their own time.

Whistle-blower cop Hirsch is a complex but likable character, caught between the legacy of his recent past and the murky threats and challenges of his new role as country cop. Add to that a sinister underbelly in the small country towns of his beat and a host of ambiguous characters and you get a slow boil page-turner that's impossible to put down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitter Wash Road.

Started Reading