Reading Teen's Reviews > The Forever Song

The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa

Such an epic conclusion to an amazingly exciting series.

"My sword flashed, and he screamed as the gun hit the pavement along with both his arms."

Julie starts The Forever Song off with a bang and doesn't let up until it's over. This book is seriously gory!! It's also full of adventure, humor, love, heart-warming moments, and heart-BREAKING moments.

DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE FIRST TWO BOOKS!!

I have to say, I was VERY concerned for Allison in the beginning of this book. After what happened to Zeke at the end of The Eternity Cure, I just didn't know if she would have the ability to care about anything anymore. She definitely had a couple of Damon (TVD) moments, that's for sure! Humanity switch? Off. The twisted part of me actually kind of liked it, I have to admit, because it led to some seriously sick fight scenes. Seriously. Sick. I can't remember the last time I read a book with the amount of gruesome things as this book had. The faint of heart need not apply. Of course I didn't actually want Allie to stay like this, and at some point we all know she has to come face to face with what's left of Zeke. The question is, WHAT WILL HAPPEN WHEN THEY FINALLY MEET?

This stressed me out SO MUCH! And with good reason. Julie does NOT like to make things easy; not for her characters, and certainly not for her readers. I picture her in her room, watching her computer screen while we all read, rubbing her hands together and laughing maniacally at our tormented status updates. MWAHAHAHA! You're cruel, Julie. Just cruel.

It isn't all bad times, though. There are so many times when I couldn't stop chuckling at the banter between Allie and Jackal. They seriously were like my two kids. I kept waiting for Kannin to turn around and slap them both upside the head, or put them in a corner until they learned to behave. The character development of Jackal is pretty awesome. If you had tried to tell me, while I read The Immortal Rules, that one day I wouldn't want Allie to decapitate Jackal, burn his body and stick his head on a pike, I would've laughed at you. But that little punk grew on me, and in the end, he had my nerves in a twist just like the rest of them.

Oh, and there are other things that happen too....that I can't talk about. But, yeah. Good times. :D

Overall, I was really happy with this ending. It was hard, it was heart-breaking, but it was also sadly satisfying, and fitting for this harsh world. I'm so happy that I enjoyed this series from beginning to end, and I can't wait to read what Julie has for us next. (TALON!!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forever Song.

February 20, 2014 – Shelved
February 20, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
March 4, 2014 – Started Reading
18.0% "O_O"
March 4, 2014 –
27.0% ""Sing for me, little bird. Sing for me and make it a glorious song." - Sarren"
March 4, 2014 –
32.0% "AHHHH !!! I KNEW this was going to happen!"
March 5, 2014 –
50.0% "YOU'RE BEING REALLY SELFISH AND STUPID RIGHT NOW!!!"
March 5, 2014 –
52.0% "Just had to look up the word "offal." Thanks @jkagawa"
69.0% "Umm...wow. O_O"
March 6, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) The arc is out?! I've been checking daily!! Did you get a paper arc or e-arc (Netgalley)?

Reading Teen eARC. I think it officially shows up March 10th. :)

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Thanks...one of my fellow bloggers told me the date. :) Lucky you got it early!! I'm officially jealous! I'm going to plow through my current read to be ready for this! I hope it's blowing you away!!

Renae jealous! Can't wait for this but I don't want it to be over!

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) If it's possible...I'm even MORE excited!!! So glad it was a 5-star for you!!!

Reading Teen Renae, I don't want it to be over either! Especially the WAY it was over. *wails*
Michelle! It should be up on Netgalley now! :D

message 9: by Beckie (new) - added it

Beckie I need this book so badly. My friend said I'm like a drug addict for these books. And that review.. Ah I need the book!! I'm scared to read the ending though, I'm going to go into hibernation.

Reading Teen Haha. Just have a paper bag handy to breathe into so you don't hyperventilate. :P

Deanna I'm so happy to see this series ending with such a high note of satisfaction. I've been dying to read it and can't wait! Finally a trilogy I can gush about. Yes!! I knew Julie wouldn't let me down like so many other authors in the past have. :)

Reading Teen Haha, yeah Julie definitely knows how to make you crazy but still leave you satisfied. :)

message 13: by Beckie (new) - added it

Beckie I finished it two days ago, I wanted to Laugh, Cry and Scream at the same time. Not giving spoilers but omg. Amazing. Sad that it's ended though:(

Reading Teen I'm so glad you loved it too!!! I can't believe it's over! :(