Jenni's Reviews > Lingering Echoes

Lingering Echoes by Erica Kiefer

bookshelves: contemporary, e-books, netgalley, romance, thriller-crime

I started to read this book with an open mind since this is a new author for me. The synopsis struck up a interest and the rest is history. There is nothing paranormal involved even if the title suggest that. Now let's get into the story itself.
A young girl named Allie is having a vacation in Hidden Pines with her father, step mom, step brother, step brother's best friend and her best friend. But she can't fully enjoy it since the place where they are having their vacation is the same place where a terrible accident involving Allie happened awhile ago. She haven't been the same since. To make the matter even worse is that she still has some anger towards her dad. She still blames him for having an affair behind her mom's back and she is also not that happy that she got a step brother now.

Among all these crazy things in her life right now, Allie met the local and mysterious Damien. She felt an instant attraction/connection to still there is something off about him. He shows up on the most unusual places and it seems like he is watching Allie's every step. Is he a stalker or a killer? It was here when I thought the story finally took off and moved forward. I was excited to reveal more information about this Damien and I had a theory. Quite early in the story, we found out about a local family (parents, and a little sister) were burned to death by the son in the family. But there wasn't enough evidence to charge him and he walked away with lots of inheritance. He didn't had a good rumor around town so everyone was totally convinced that he killed his family. So my theory was that I thought the guy in this story was in fact Damien. Did I got that correct? You will have to read this book to find out!

It was this suspense of is he or is he not that got me interested until the end. Even the blooming romance between Allie and Damien was one of the high light in the book. They sooth each other's mind and the dark memory that Allie has of Hidden Pines will be dealt with. The thing is that she couldn't move on from it and stop blaming herself for what happened. It was an accident, no one wanted it to happen. It's nobody's fault. The one who made her realize that was Damien.

There were other romantic directions that the author wanted to take the story. Such as step brother's best friend, Aaron's growing feelings for Allie and Allie's best friend, Brooke's interest in Aaron. Many things is going on in "Lingering Echoes" but the writing style and story-telling made it really easy to follow and the end didn't disappoint. I actually love the ending portion since it was action packed. Things that the author built up from the beginning is getting it's climax which made it very exciting. My heart kept beating since I wanted to find out what will happen with Allie and Damien when his's secret is out.

In summary, it was a great read from a new author and I enjoyed it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lingering Echoes.

February 20, 2014 – Started Reading
February 20, 2014 – Shelved
February 20, 2014 –
page 17
March 5, 2014 –
page 113
40.65% "So is Damien the guy that killed his family when he was 17? If he is, is there more to it?"
March 5, 2014 –
page 128
46.04% "Looks like I was right, but did Damien really killed his family? Hm..."
March 10, 2014 –
page 278
100.0% "Done! Liked it! Review coming soon!"
March 10, 2014 – Finished Reading