Justin's Reviews > The Red Sheet

The Red Sheet by Mia Kerick

bookshelves: favorites

I predict this will be one of the top 5 YA books of 2014!

I'll try to string a few thoughts together that will do this justice when I can see straight.

ETA - Review:

Warning: If you've ever been bullied, this book may be a major trigger for you! There's also an interrupted sexual assault scene that (view spoiler)

This is a YA book. There's no sex to speak of in The Red Sheet. If you have to have sex in your books, this one is not for you.

This is an amazing book. Hard to read, yes. For me it hit very close to home and brought back a great deal of unpleasant memories from Jr. High and High School. Bullying is real and it hurts! Cody Kennedy puts it this way in his Foreward:

Painful beyond description, debilitating, and tragic, bullying leaves everlasting, invisible scars. To say that you will recover from bullying is a myth. You can only survive and compensate for it when and if you are able.

The Red Sheet is also about forgiveness. I truly believe forgiveness is the only way to be at peace and live life to the fullest. Harboring unresolved hatred and grudges is more harmful to us than the person who 'wronged' us. The author shows us the power of forgiveness. It's not painted as sunshine and roses rather it is realistic and painful.

The Red Sheet should be required reading before entering high school. A movie should be made from this and shown on cable channels geared toward teens. The messages here need to be told and retold until bullying is obliterated from society.

This book will affect different people in different ways but I think there's something in it for everyone and I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Sheet.

February 20, 2014 – Shelved
February 22, 2014 – Started Reading
February 23, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by Jo (new) - added it

Jo Hey Justin what do you think? It looks good right but I am now gunshy on buying a book with no real reviews.

Justin Jo wrote: "Hey Justin what do you think? It looks good right but I am now gunshy on buying a book with no real reviews."

I agree, Jo. It's a wait and see for me.

message 3: by MishyJo (new)

MishyJo Wow. I got this a few days ago. I guess I will be reading it sooner than I had planned! Glad you loved it!

Sandi ♥'s way too many M/M books Wonderful review sweetie.

message 5: by Jo (new) - added it

Jo Wow Justin looks like i need to read immediatly .

Wonderful review.

Lori JJ, what an amazing review. Wow.

message 7: by Jo (new) - added it

Jo I know, when Justin gets like this I thank God I am happily married because I would be ditching my hopelessly unrequited love for Stiles and stalking Him.

Justin dude you have the magic word powers with the women you must be an awsome wing man for your straight male friends. You should charge and then share the wealth with the UM

Lori Jo wrote: "I know, when Justin gets like this I thank God I am happily married because I would be ditching my hopelessly unrequited love for Stiles and stalking Him.

Justin dude you have the magic word powe..."

Oh he so does! I agree 100%!

Susan Wow...ok. Adding it. I consider you, Justin, my YA dealer. :)

message 10: by Jo (new) - added it

Jo Susan Lori and have never been led wrong on a YA rec from Justin.

Well except for Jay Bell who I will own wrote a beautiful, heartfelt story but it was too good and heartbreaking for me and honest no lie still have heart palpatations and watery eyes when i think of the story and I gave Justin the silent treatment for a couple of days but ummmm since it was online and we have never actually talked I don't think he noticed.

Catherine What a glowing review! I can't wait to read it. :)

Justin Thanks you guys! <3

For those planning to read this I should have mentioned this is told from the bully's POV. If that sounds like something you won't be able to put aside, you may not enjoy the book.

@ Susan - eep, that's very flattering and SCARY!! :)

message 13: by Jo (new) - added it

Jo Wow the Bully's point of view. Let's Get Lost by Sarra Manning is the only other book I have read using the same concept and even though i read it years ago that book has stayed with me. You hate the character and who she is and what she does and yet you feel so bad for her and all the reasons she became that person. then there is all that uncomfortableness for excusing - unexcusable behavior.

message 14: by Jo (new) - added it

Jo Jo wrote: "Wow the Bully's point of view. Let's Get Lost by Sarra Manning is the only other book I have read using the same concept and even though i read it years ago that book has stayed with me. You hat..."

It doesn't even have a traditional HEA and you know me and my HEA and yet I really liked the book

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann Great review as always my J. Very well said.

message 16: by Natasha (new) - added it

Natasha Yes, great review. I'll be adding this and reading it asap!

message 17: by Charlie (new)

Charlie R Sounds good! Thanks for the review.

Sandra Agreed on all points. This will likely end up on my top reads for the year. And it's only February.

Justin Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "Nice review!"

Aw shucks, thank you ma'am! It's a great book.