Casey's Reviews > The Vile Village

The Vile Village by Lemony Snicket

Jan 20, 2010

Read in January, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Finally, finally, finally! I loved this one. I've gone beyond simply admiring the wit of the author and am seeing the makings of a great fictional world in this tale.

First of all, with Hector, we have the first character over the age of 14 who functions at a basic human level and is not a criminal mastermind. He listens with an open mind, takes notice of others outside of himself, and EVOLVES AS THE STORY PROGRESSES. He goes from a kindly (albeit cowardly) man to something of a hero when he finally learns to speak up for himself and others in order to do the right thing. That is what has been missing from the caricatures that pass for adults in this series.

I found myself worrying about the safety of the Quagmire children, and biting my nails when I thought the six of them wouldn't get away on the balloon in the end. This is because this time, the story introduced me to characters to whom I could relate, and about whom I could care.

Even more importantly, the conspiracy and continuity of the storyline has finally taken center stage. We are now less concerned with isolated incidents that happen to the orphans and more focused on consolidating and analyzing little hints from all of the books to solve the overarching puzzle. It sharpens the readers' skills and heightens their interest.

This, to me, is what makes a truly "good read."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vile Village.

04/08/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Rachael (new) - added it

Rachael How exactly do you open the book to read it plzzz help me out I want to start reading it too I'm very anxious to see what will happen I'm on chapter 8