lola's Reviews > Wisconsin Death Trip

Wisconsin Death Trip by Michael Lesy

Jan 20, 2010

There is no better evidence than this book that the concept of a "simpler, happier time" is a straight-up teleological mendacity concocted by some archetypal mom to make us all feel guilty for ipods and Lady Gaga. It's the late 19th century in Black River Falls, Wisconsin, and everyone is offing themselves in the most esoteric ways possible, shit is constantly on fire, and roving bands of tramps are basically running everything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wisconsin Death Trip.

Lorileinart Great review.
Thank's only 9 A.M. and I can place a check under my daily Laugh Out Loud column.

message 2: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Thank you for linking that to modern day conservatives who yearn for that "simpler" time, yeah like that really happened!

message 3: by amaya (new) - added it

amaya Out of the blue, I remembered that I'd owned this book years ago (until an ex stole it from me; for this, among far worse reasons, he deserves his own WI Death Trip) and decided to check if I'd ever added it here.

I hadn't, so I did; then, as is my custom, I checked out the reviews.

I'm so glad I did, because this is probably the best one I've come across yet.

My initial impulse was to just like without remark, but it was too good.

Plus, Patricia's comment above mine is especially poignant in these days of Trump bloviating about « making America great 'again' ». Yes, -again- indeed. Sheep shears or strychnine, anyone?