Karen Keyte's Reviews > Scrambled Eggs at Midnight

Scrambled Eggs at Midnight by Brad Barkley

Jan 19, 2010

bookshelves: best-teen-books, teen-romantic, teen-girls-realistic, all-time-favorites, favorites

“I think that maybe when it comes to love, Eliot and I are the smartest people I know. It’s like we both got to the top of our diving boards and just looked at each other and jumped. And we keep watching each other, enjoying the fall. While everyone else around us is still stuck on their boards or frantically trying to brace themselves for impact.” - Calliope

“This. Us. This is the real deal. If we take care of this, it could be the forever kind of deal.” - Eliot

Until four years ago, Calliope lived a settled (if unconventional) life with her artist parents. Then her mother, Delores, decided to leave her father, taking Cal along with her. And the thing is, the leaving never ends. Twenty-three times in the past four years, Delores has forced Cal to leave behind everything that won’t fit in her Datsun hatchback and move on to somewhere new. And the hardest part about it is that the only thing Cal really wants is a home.

Once Eliot had a normal home in Carolina Beach; his dad sold swimming pools, his mom was happy. Then ‘the Dad’ had a bad fall and found God, found a host of ways to make money with God, and opened a Christian Fat Camp outside of Asheville.

Now the only things Eliot’s father sees are God and money - he doesn’t seem to see Eliot at all.
When Cal and Eliot meet, it’s as if they have known each other all their lives. In their loneliness and their isolation they come together to find love and hold on to it for as long as they can.

Hands down, this is one of my all time favorite young adult books of any genre. It's quirky and imaginative, both a coming of age story and a romance. Cal and Elliot are wonderful, truthful characters and their less-than-perfect parents (his father, her mother) are skillfully drawn and fully three dimensional. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scrambled Eggs at Midnight.