Taryn Lee's Reviews > Succumbing

Succumbing by Mary E. Palmerin

14206508
Feb 18, 2014

bookshelves: arc, abuse, adult-romance, drugs, favorites, review

Find this Review at Taryn Lee's Book Blog

I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is another beautiful story in Mary E. Palmerin's emotional Sorrow Series. I'm not sure how I can describe the beauty of the pain that is Lyla Harper, but I'm going to try. Lyla, who we met in the novella Secrets of a Broken Girl. Lyla has finally escaped her small town life. Fresh out of college, she is ready to take this city by storm and she's going to do it even though her weasel of a boss is a full on dirtbag who gives off some really creepy vibes. It's like waiting for a car crash you know is coming. But can we all just give a huge high five to Everett Brown.

"I wanted Everett to love me so badly that I realized what I had to overcome. It wasn't my past events; those were just bumps in the road. I had to overcome my insecurities. I had to love myself, and I did." -Lyla

Lyla truly believes she doesn't deserve love, but then Everett appears in her life and he shows her what makes her special. He loves her for her. And I love him for that! Oh god this book. This Book. It's crazy but Mary E. Palmerin just gets straight up into my tear ducts and forces those droplets out! There is a particular scene that just tore my heart out... So thanks for that Mary.

Overall, I'm giving this book 4.5 STARS out of 5 STARS. It's so emotional, so real. Mary knows how to write reality. And I think that scares me a bit because how many girls are out there in the world who deal with abuse daily and self deprecating feelings? It really makes you think not just about Lyla and Everett and the supporting characters, but of our lives and how we pass by people everyday and we never see the grief, the sadness, nor do we see the pain. It's a lot of food for thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read by Taryn Lee on February 18, 2014
Reviewed by Taryn Lee on February 26, 2014
Taryn Lee's Book Blog on Facebook

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Succumbing.

January 26, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
January 26, 2014 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
February 18, 2014 – Started Reading