Shelley's Reviews > Gives Light

Gives Light by Rose Christo

4.5 Stars

I know that ‘Gives Light’ doesn’t need another glowing review but how can I not when its effect on me is the same. I had NO IDEA the things I would learn and the effect it would all have on me. So this review is about all the things I didn’t know … but now I do :)

I didn’t know that the Moon and the Sun used to be married before they quarrelled and parted ways.

I didn’t know what it felt like to lay on my back by the creek and stare at the stars till my eyes went blurry.

I didn’t know that doves are among the only birds that produce milk for their young.

I didn’t know that the power of a soundless laugh is magnified a thousand times more than a vocal one.

I didn’t know what it felt like to breathe in tandem with a character. It hurts sometimes, but in a wonderful cathartic way.

I didn’t know how much I would covet the life within Nettlebush. Community, heritage, the gift and share economy and belonging somewhere made me ache with longing. I want that too. So much.

I didn’t know that a book could contain actual physical tranquilising side effects.

I didn’t know that the greatest strength of this story would be its quiet gentleness.

I didn’t know how much I too would grow.

I didn’t know that a story could ever bring me so much peace. My soul feels utterly sated.

I didn’t know that it would be among the most memorable books I’ve ever read.

I didn’t know how grateful and humbled I would feel for having read it.

I didn't know that this book would turn me into such a damn sap!

Urgh, I'm done with these YA books (after I read the rest of this series), all these stupid happy-shiny emotions will be ruining my rep. So. Anyone up for a blood curdling, angst ridden, erotic orgy, with cheating and zombies?

This review is the result of a reading challenge that Susan threw down for the team at BIOB. You can check out our group review plus enter the giveaway to win all 4 books in the series (Posted 16/03/2014).

photo BioBbanner_zps3e81c610.jpg

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gives Light.

Quotes Shelley Liked

“Each person is just an imprint of the many people who have crossed paths with us over the years, some more than others. Most of us never think to say thank you. I know I never had.”
Rose Christo, Gives Light

“It struck me as kind of crazy, kind of amazing, that one person could make me feel so serene just by being.”
Rose Christo, Gives Light

March 17, 2014 – Shelved as: first-in-series
March 17, 2014 – Shelved as: ilhem-says
March 17, 2014 – Shelved as: scarred-hero
March 17, 2014 – Shelved as: susan-says

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

LenaRibka LOL! You and YA?! I'm full of expectations! ;) Just finished this one! ;)

message 2: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Ah, Shell, good to see that you're as excited as me. YA + drama + sexless...how did we end up getting tricked into this one again? ;D

SueC Loederkoningin wrote: "Ah, Shell, good to see that you're as excited as me. YA + drama + sexless...how did we end up getting tricked into this one again? ;D"

NOBODY TOLD ME THERE'S DRAMA WITH NO SEX. I thought it was bad enough that I was reading YA.

I think I'll need a case of beer for this... It'll make everything better.

message 4: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Ahahaha! Gaytimes will get us through this sexless endeavor! :D

Susan All ya'll just hush and read the book already!!!!! ha! If I can drag myself to read kink, you guys can slap on a fake smile and get yourselves through this one....

hahahahahahahahah!!!! <-maniacal laughter!!!!

Susan 5 stars from EVERYONE!!!! <-my prediction. :)

message 7: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Hahaha! You're crazy. I'm almost afraid to give it 5 stars. What if you pop a brain vein?

Kristie Great review, honey. I have to read this!

Jenni I (((HUG))) this review! :D

Baba  Beautiful review, Shell! :))))

Shelley Thanks Jenni and B :) And Kristie my sweet thang; this book is gonna bring you to your knees! You will love it, it will be a forever favorite, I swear! You should enter the draw on the blog to win all 4 books. Go, go enter!

message 12: by Joy (new)

Joy Enjoyed your review

message 13: by Vishous (new) - added it

Vishous dammit Shelley! added!

great review :*

message 14: by Yblees (new) - added it

Yblees ROTFL. Sexless YA - best in limited doses?

message 15: by LenaRibka (last edited Mar 21, 2014 05:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

LenaRibka Are you going to read all 4 books of the series, Shelley?
I would like to know your opinion at least about the second one. I know that Susan liked it even more than the first book, but for me it was a pure disappointment. And I wish, I have never read it. It is why I stopped after.

message 16: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Lena♥Ribka wrote: "Are you going to read all 4 books of the series, Shelley?

It's pure disappointment for me too. Something I hadn't expected AT ALL after book 1 put me on cloud nine.:( I wouldn't go there Shells.

Shelley I wasn't planning to actually. Now that the rainbow has burned out I don't think I'll bother. Thats a shame to hear though, it might have been something I might have enjoyed at a later date.

message 18: by ttg (new) - rated it 4 stars

ttg Just jumping in to say that I enjoyed the second book. It has a lot of what's in book 1, along with a new revelation that I thought was pretty meaningful. That's all I've read so far though.