Emma's Reviews > Midnight Tides

Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson

28602001

I think the must be the third or fourth time i've read this book, but the first time i've ever taken the time to really read it. Previously, i'd approached it with little enthusiasm and more than a little petulance- why is this important? Why is it set before the first 4 books? Where are my favourite characters? Who cares about the Tiste Edur? A whole novel about Trull Sengar-are you serious? Thanks to this bad attitude, I skimmed the whole thing. I gave it 5 stars before because it's Erikson and no other reason.

This time I give them freely, with full confidence and sincerity. I READ the book. And after the first few chapters of Trull whining, it was worth the effort. This instalment is Erikson doing political intrigue up close and personal. Of course, high politics underlies the entirety of the series, but the focus on the common man evens it out. Here, we get the power politics and economics of two clashing forces in direct opposition. It's done so very well through two trios of brothers: Sengar and Beddict. And this is where the new favourite characters come in: Tehol and Bugg. Love them or hate them, they lift intrigue to a different (rooftop) level. Not only that, i'd always passed over the Crimson Guard. I didn't even remember they were in this book. I defy anyone not to properly laugh out loud at Iron Bars' commentary. I'd love to quote it but it's too spoilery, those who've read it will already know anyway and those yet to read will know when they get there. There are more but again: SPOILERS.

So all that i'll say is: don't make my mistake, trust in Erikson, the payoff is there for those that pay attention.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Tides.

February 17, 2014 – Shelved
January 24, 2017 – Started Reading
January 24, 2017 –
10.0% "Just met Tehol and Bugg again and am reminded why I do love this book after all."
January 24, 2017 –
January 31, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Orient Great review, Emma :) So great that you loved the book ;)

Emma Orient wrote: "Great review, Emma :) So great that you loved the book ;)"

Sometimes even your favourite series needs a that bit extra attention!!

ijeoma Agbaje can't wait to do a re-read when i'm finally done with the series. Excited to see how much clearer it'll become reading it the second time around..