Debbie's Reviews > Aromatherapy for Health Professionals

Aromatherapy for Health Professionals by Shirley Price

Jan 19, 2010

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in January, 2010

I found "Aromatherapy for Health Professionals" tremendously interesting. It offered information on practical application with a focus on healing while explaining the science (what we know of it, anyway) behind why essential oils work the way they do.

It was basically a medical textbook and often used medical terms. Most of the terms were defined in the glossary in the back, but their meaning was usually obvious from or defined in the text, so you don't have to have medical training to understand this book.

The book included information on tests and case studies in which essential oils were used to treat medical conditions (both for physical healing and to calm or lift the mood). I also gained an understanding of why the cautions given in other aromatheraphy books where given so I now feel confident that I can use essential oils effectively and safely. The charts on lethal doses (for ingested and topical) for a number of common essential oils were also tremendously reassuring.

Most of the book (Sections 1 and 2) was for a general audience and wasn't specific to the UK. Section 3 was more about using essential oils for specific problems (in the critical care unit or a nursing home, etc.) in the UK medical setting, but there was still a lot that was applicable to anyone using essential oils. Section 4 was short, but got very specific about practicing aromatheraphy in a medical setting in the UK and then worldwide.

The Appendix contained useful charts and lists showing which essential oils are effective in treating which problems. It also listed safety information, like which essential oils can be toxic in high dosages or have potentially unwanted side-effects, like irritating the skin. Finally, it listed about one hundred essential oils, their chemical content, what actions they cause and what they are good at treating, and safety information specific to that oil as well as observations about its use taken from case studies, etc.

If you're really into using essential oils and enjoy making up your own blends, especially for health problems, I'd highly recommend this book as a wonderful resource.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aromatherapy for Health Professionals.