L-Angelica Herrera-Vest's Reviews > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Jan 19, 2010

bookshelves: multicultural-literature, book-club
Read in January, 2010

I finished the book in one seating, I could not stop reading it. My son even asked me, "What are you reading?". I encouraged him to read it after I finished. I feel it is a perfect book for pre-teens to teens. Besides having to deal with discrimination, The character faced the usual issues teenagers face, like feeing alienated from groups. Books with multicultural themes have always interested me. I have learned that we find out although we might think people from other cultures are different from us, they are not. Arnold brings the character to life with his thoughts, especially through his drawings. At times, I felt sorry for him. Other times, I cheered him on. The book was insightful. The story addressed the truth about how Native Americans "really" feel when people try to glamorize them. It acknowledges the problem of alcholism among Native Americans and how it has affected their culture. I guess you can say it was culturally authentic.

message 1: by Q_Barb (new) - added it

Q_Barb Any recommendation by you is so five star in my book. I have reserved at the library! Hope you are well?

Melissa Wow! This sounds captivating! No wonder you finished it so fast. Since I am a middle school teacher by heart, I am anxious to read this!

message 3: by L- Lisa (new) - added it

L- Lisa Your description sounds like the author represented the Native American culture with authentic voice. I look forward to adding this to my list and will plan to start it when there is time to read the whole book, in one sitting! Thanks!