Dana Willhoit's Reviews > The Good, the Bad, and the Undead

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead by Kim Harrison

Jan 19, 2010

liked it
Read from January 19 to 24, 2010

There are parts of this book I'd rate a five, but there are parts I'd rate a "two". I love the magical world the author has created, I love the Rachel Morgan character most of the time, Jenks the Pixie and his family are awesome, and she's generally good at creating suspense.

There are parts of this series that are too repetitive, though. Who else is sick of reading, for the 30th time, about Rachel walking into a room with a vampire in it and turning into a puddle of helpless lust because of her vamp scar? Once per book is plenty. But it happens time after time in each of the first two books.

Who's sick of reading about half a dozen physical fights per book, with Rachel's vampire room-mate Ivy attacking her and struggling to restrain herself from sinking her fangs in?

Also there was a part in this book where Ivy kept moaning "I said no" - not going to say why, of course -but she kept repeating it for about three pages.

Also I can't stand the Ivy character so far.

Also, while Rachel's boyfriend is a nice guy, he's excruciatingly dull. Bad boy boyfriends are way sexier.

And yet, the writing and the world-building is excellent enough that I've kept reading even though it has some MAJOR issues that annoy the heck out of me.

So far, I like Ilona Andrews and her Magic Burns, Magic Bites, etc., series more, because I like the characters better and she doesn't have that annoying habit of repeating a scene (vampire-lust) again and again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good, the Bad, and the Undead.

01/19/2010 page 100
01/23/2010 page 175
38.63% "I love her writing but some of her characters annoy the heck out of me."