Jessica's Reviews > Reave

Reave by C.  Miller

Reave is a story about a young woman who has been a servant for most of her life, living on an estate where the Leader of the house only lives for a short period of time. Any time a servant speaks out, or does something wrong they are severely punished. Aster is no exception having more than her share of beating and whippings throughout her life. However, all this changes when the new Leader arrives and challenges Asters perspective on the world, and herself.

Although lacking in action, the journey that Aster takes trying to understand herself and the new Leader, all while pushing boundaries with the Reaper makes this book a page turner. I wanted to know more and more about the motives behind the new Leader, who the mysterious Reaper was, and when Aster would finally learn what everything meant, and what decision she would make in the end.

Her character was interesting, because although Aster could read the malevolence in people, or pick up on certain mannerisms, her sheltered life kept her from noticing other mannerisms, that I, as a reader, picked up on right away. Aster questions kindness and flirtations and at some points I just laughed at her naivety, while feeling absolute pity for the man vying for her affection.

Her characters are well fleshed out, and the relationships are real and deep where they should be, and shallow and new where they needed to be. Another refreshing change with C. Miller's characters was the unique yet normal names. Although Aster is more unique than normal, there were no names that had me pondering how to say them; which in a world where Apple is an actual name, was quite the refreshing change of pace. Not to mention the normal spellings.

Overall this book pulled me into the story, had me captivated by the world, and invested in the characters and their lives. I would move this book to the top of your TBR pile and in the meantime I'm going to order my copy of Elude, the second book in the Reave series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reave.

February 16, 2014 – Shelved