Judy D Collins's Reviews > When We Fall

When We Fall by Emily Liebert

bookshelves: 2014-releases, womens-fiction, sisters, friendship, audiobook, books-read-in-2014, emily-liebert

When We Fall by Emily Liebert, is a thought-provoking, complex, witty, and emotionally honest realistic account of flawed female friendships and relationships; what it is like to fall, when things get complicated, and back up--to survive, stronger than ever.

Revolving around two women in transition: one recently widowed young mother returning to her suburban hometown, and her new best friend whose life only looks perfect on the outside. Their friendship seems to be just what they both need, until it falls apart.

After the death of Allison Parker’s husband, Jack—she and her son, Logan move from Manhattan to her hometown of suburbs of Wincourt, New York. Allison feels being closer to her family, will allow her to focus on her art career, and give her time away from her memories of Jack to begin healing.

In an attempt to feel connected, Allison befriends, Logan’s classmate (Gia)’s mom, Charlotte, married to her late husband’s best friend, Charlie. Their friendship includes a lot of differences and issues began to surface, as it would appear Charlotte and Charlie’s marriage—not so perfect. Charlotte’s sister Elizabeth also befriends Allison, and silly jealousy occurs between the two sisters and things spiral out of control.

Where some things are not as they appear on the exterior, Emily explores the good, bad, bitches, nasty gossip, insecurities, name dropping, the judgmental and petty actions, misunderstandings, shallowness, jealousy, backbiting, and the all ugly truths of women, emotions, female friendships, and relationships (women are as mean as the teens in high school);as they journey to being true sisters and friends, for a heartwarming and contemporary novel of surviving loss and love.

Fans of Emily Giffin, Jane Green, and Sarah Pekkanen, will enjoy, as well as readers of chick-lit, drama, and female relationships involving wives, mothers, sisters, and friendships.

I love the reference to Canyon Ranch, (what an escape), as I love it and wish I could be there, right now! Tucson and Miami Beach. If you have not been, highly recommend!

If you have not read Emily Liebert's You Knew Me When, would highly recommend as she takes readers from New York to Vermont. A poignant story of friendship and the struggles of sacrificing yourself for your friends, or staying true to your heart to do the right thing.

Emily, in regards to your blog about female relationships: I prefer men or gay guys as friends, for a drama free zone. I always wanted to have sons, so got my wish (2 sons and 3 step-sons), thank you, God.

Now, I see why girls are so much harder to raise than boys. My grandson is five, and we get along perfectly! However, my granddaughter, seven is a total diva, and everything about her is DRAMA and complicated! (they start early these days).

JDCMustReadBooks

Those Secrets We Keep 6/2/2015

You Knew Me When 9/3/2013

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When We Fall.

February 16, 2014 – Shelved