Aaron Bunce's Reviews > The Warrior

The Warrior by Ty Patterson

The good, the bad and the verdict. #1
For my first book review I have chosen The Warrior, by Ty Patterson.
First, the Good: The book starts out in the Congo. Where our protagonist, Major Zebediah Carter is on assignment for the "agency." What ensues plays out like fantasy for most of us. He witnesses something unspeakable, is ordered to do nothing about it, and completely ignores those orders. Zeb goes on a Jason Bourne"ish" vengeance spree. Interrupting dastardly men doing dastardly things to women and children, but in the chaos, several of the bad guys escape. The Warrior starts out strong. You are thrown right into the action on page one. There is no warm up, cuddle with your hero "get to know you" back story lead-up or other frivolous fluff. The pace moves along at a fast clip and only stalls out in a few spots where you might have to put it down to look up something on google. Our hero engages in a therapeutic form of percussion that I admit I only understood because I looked it up. Perhaps its time to broaden my horizons. The writing in the book is tight and spares flourish for only a few small spots where Patterson seeks to set mood or allow the reader a wider gaze of spacial awareness. Side characters are introduced to ground Major Carter. Some offer depth and development, while others appear at times only to move along dialogue or tie together scenes.

Secondly, the bad...guy(s) Zeb doesn't fight off waves of bad guys in The Warrior. Conflicts are strategic but sparse. This may disappoint readers looking for gratuitous violence, but I found it refreshing. Especially considering some thrillers devolve into heroes sliding from fist fight to gun fight right into another fist fight with machine-gun like regularity. With that said, there is actually story here. The main antagonist is Holt, a former military, turned private security contractor who led the group of willy nilly booty-plunderin bad guys in the Congo. As the story moves from the jungles of Africa to the concrete jungles of New York, Zeb's focus narrows, although a cleverly introduced journalist presents a "bigger fish," character that ties together the subplots nicely. Along the path for revenge, and ultimately redemption, Zeb is joined by "Broker" a private intelligence specialist who turns out to be Zeb's swiss army knife. After all, what would a thriller be without gadgets. The other characters that are introduced along the way add a little depth, although you probably won't get too attached to any of them. If for no other reason than the book's fast pace.

Lastly, the verdict. Anyone capable of raping and torturing women and children deserves to die. We are all thankful that Zeb Carter feels the same way. Ugly deeds reap quick deaths, but in this case the quick pace of the book is almost a detriment. Some moments are highly anticipated, but flash by too quickly to appropriately savor. Tension builds effectively and it speaks to Patterson's writing that you genuinely start to care about the character of Zebediah Carter. This should speak volumes, considering at the start of the book you are prone to ask yourself:what sets this hardened, ex-military bad ass apart from Reacher and the others. Patterson effectively teases with his sullen and introspective leading man. Providing a delightfully flawed but deathly effective killing machine that hasn't completely given up on humanity yet. Like so many characters in similar books, you can tell immediately that he is a tormented soul. His clip, terse and sometimes painful dialogue speak to a scarred and traumatizing past. That mixed with his lethal combination of talents makes Zeb the character you ultimately want to learn more about. Small flashbacks and perspective breaks are used to add depth, but the real revelation comes in the end. Don't worry, I don't do spoilers. I picked up The Warrior on a Friday night and finished it only a few short days later. I found it a crisp, clean and thoroughly enjoyable read. I look forward to reading future offerings from Mr. Ty Patterson.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Warrior.

Started Reading