Roy Lotz's Reviews > The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge

The Great Bridge by David McCullough

bookshelves: new-yawk, americana, one-damn-thing-after-another

… on a day when two young men were walking on the moon, a very old woman on Long Island would tell reporters that the public excitement over the feat was not so much compared to what she had seen “on the day they opened the Brooklyn Bridge.”

On the inside cover of my copy of this book its previous owner has inserted a little love note. The brief message is written in a very neat script, in red ink, apparently on the eve of a long separation. Now, you may think that a book about the Brooklyn Bridge is a rather odd gift for a lover—and, considering that the book ended up in a used book shop, this may be what the recipient thought, too—but, now that I have read McCullough’s chronicle of the Brooklyn Bridge, I can see why it might inspire such sentimental attachment. For it is a thoroughly lovable book.

This is my first McCullough work, and I am pleased. He is a fine writer. His prose is stylish yet unobtrusive, striking that delicate balance between being intelligible but not simplified. He has a keen eye for the exciting details of a seemingly dry story; and effectively brings together many different threads—the personalities, the politics, the technology—in such a way that the past looms up effortlessly in the imagination. The only parts which I think could have been improved were his explanations of the engineering, since he used too many unfamiliar terms without explaining them, perhaps thinking that such explanations might swell the book to unseemly proportions. In any case, he is a writer, not an engineer, and he shines most when discussing the human experience of the Bridge.

The bridge’s designer was John A. Roebling, who deserves a book unto himself. An eccentric polymath, who among other things studied philosophy under Hegel, he came to America to found a Utopian village and ended up the foremost expert on suspension bridges. The Brooklyn Bridge was his project; but tragically he died during the first year of the project, after his foot was crushed, his toes amputated, and he contracted tetanus. His son, Washington, immediately took over—in many ways just as remarkable a man. A Civil War hero with a tenacious memory, the bridge ruined his health, too, through a combination of stress and the bends.

In those days the bends were known as “caisson sickness,” named for the compartment sunk underwater in order to excavate for the bridge’s foundations. These were filled with pressurized air in order to prevent water from seeping in. Unfortunately, back then the dangers of rapidly depressurizing were not understood, so many people fell ill during the construction—including Roebling himself, who spent the final years of the bridge’s construction as an invalid, observing the work through a telescope from his apartment. Luckily for him, his wife, Emily, was a remarkable woman—diplomatic and brilliant—and helped to carry the project to completion.

These personalities come alive in McCullough’s narration, turning what could have been a dry chronicle into an enthralling book. And this is not to mention the political corruption, the manufacturing fraud, the deadly accidents, and the glorious celebrations that took place during the fourteen years of the bridge’s construction.

Yesterday I revisited the Brooklyn Bridge, which is beautiful even if you know nothing about it. As a friend and I strolled across in the intense summer heat, elbowing our way through crowds of tourists, I blathered on about all the fun facts I had learned from this book—which I am sure my friend very much appreciated. Sensing his discomfort, I made sure to emphasize that a fraudulent wire manufacturer had tricked the engineers into using sub-par cables, and that a panic broke out a week after the bridge’s opening, which resulted in twelve people being trampled. You see this book has already helped my social life. Maybe next I can write my own love note inside.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Bridge.

February 15, 2014 – Shelved
February 15, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
August 22, 2017 – Shelved as: new-yawk
Started Reading
September 5, 2018 – Finished Reading
September 8, 2018 – Shelved as: americana
September 8, 2018 – Shelved as: one-damn-thing-after-another

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by RK-ïsme (new)

RK-ïsme Another wonderful review Roy. One does have the sense that the construction of this bridge was something totally new in its day and that there is so little understanding of what it meant so long ago, and should mean today.

Have you ever read Hart Crane’s poem The Bridge. I stumbled across it many years ago while at university. The poem led me to study the history of the bridge. If you don’t know it, it is a great read.

And I do hope that your friend came away from your walk somewhat better informed.

message 2: by Roy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roy Lotz Thanks very much! Yes, McCullough did a great job in capturing how dazzling it would have been. I have heard of Crane’s poem, and I hope to read it.

Jill Hutchinson Good review of a good book, Roy.

message 4: by Roy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roy Lotz Jill wrote: "Good review of a good book, Roy."

Thanks very much!