Chris Witt's Reviews > Race: How Blacks And Whites Think And Feel About The American Obsession

Race by Studs Terkel

The thing I love about Studs Terkel's books is how it immediately calms you down and makes you look at your fellow man a little different. I should amend that. If you are the sort of person who demands that everybody looks at things the same as you, has the same opinions as you, and lives the same way you do, then you may be frustrated by his books. Because what really comes out in his short interviews with ordinary people from all different backgrounds are the complexities of humanity.

In his books are the voices of a welfare mother sitting next to you on the bus as well as a multi-millionaire CEO. What you learn is that everybody, no matter their background, has something interesting to say if you just stop talking and start listening. They all have their own sets of opinions and different ways of looking at things.

In the past few years, I've read "Race", "The Good War", "Hard Times", and "Will the Circle Be Unbroken?". With the possible exception of the last of those books, which was missing something for me, reading Studs Terkel leaves me feeling much more accepting of the world I live in, differences and all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Race.

January 18, 2010 – Started Reading