Lia Riley's Reviews > If Only

If Only by A.J. Pine

Please note: I stopped starring reviews awhile ago. They make me stress, and I like to avoid stress.
Instead I designate this book as: HUG TO YOUR CHEST, SIGH, AND RUSH OFF TO READ E.M FORESTER GOOD.

IF ONLY is a book that left me confused. Not because of the plot or characters, but why, oh, why isn't more New Adult written in this vein?? The closest comp title I can come up with is Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl. Pine clearly loves the english language and takes care to craft her words with love and heart. When her characters discuss books, it's not to tick off a "we are in college so must discuss a generic class" box. Her characters LOVE their books. A ROOM WITH A VIEW, THE GREAT GATSBY and MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING all play significant roles.

I honestly feel the need to reread A ROOM WITH A VIEW AND MUCH ADO, STAT.

The heroine, Jordan Brooks, spends her junior year in Aberdeen, Scotland. I additionally appreciated the non-USA study abroad setting. Exchange trips are often period of seismic personal growth and this story was no exception.

There is bit of a love-triangle. Don't want to give away spoilers. Let's just say I'm keenly anticipating Book 2. Even if you don't generally like love-triangles, you will dig IF ONLY because Pine handles the plot with deft care. Honest. Serious. Why are you still reading this? Run along and preorder IF ONLY! Add to your TBR! Go on, get!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If Only.

February 15, 2014 – Shelved
February 15, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 26, 2014 – Started Reading
February 26, 2014 –
15.0% "This is a lovely debut. It's smart without feeling forced and some style to the voice which I really appreciate. Bonus points for a train setting. And when the train is bound for Scotland? Choo! Choo!"
February 26, 2014 –
15.0% "This is a lovely debut. It's smart without feeling forced and the voice has a bit of style which I really appreciate. Bonus points for a train setting. And when the train is bound for Scotland? Choo! Choo!"
February 26, 2014 –
15.0% "This is a lovely debut. It's smart without feeling forced and the voice has a bit of style which I really appreciate. Bonus points for a train setting. And when that train is bound for Scotland? Choo! Choo!"
March 2, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Megan Erickson This review is SO GOOD and SO SPOT ON about this book. I hope this encourages people to read this awesome story by A.J. Pine!

message 2: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Cousins Aren't you clever to have stopped starring reviews! Yes, that stresses me out also, when all I really want to do is say what I loved about a particular book, whether or not it wad the best ever or just really good. Our even only ok, but with some things I enjoyed! Will contemplate adopting this strategy also.

Plus, you made me want to read this book. :)

message 3: by Lia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lia Riley Ha! I'd have five-starred, if I did that sort of thing.