Helia's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Feb 14, 2014

bookshelves: favorite-standalones, historical-fiction, age-young-adult

In World War II, a German couple and their adopted daughter Liesel hide a Jewish man in their basement. Even though her world seems to be collapsing around her, she befriends the man whilst filling her world with the words from the books she steals.

Despite having a seemingly simple concept at first glance, Zusak brings this book to life by (ironically) having it narrated by Death.

This has become one of my favourite books, as it explores the thoughts and emotions of the various characters, as well as showing that there is more than one side to people and that no one is all good or all bad.

The choice of Death narrating was unique and enabled beautiful foreshadowing, as well as a good reflection of human nature.

'The Book Thief' is a beautiful mix of happy, sweet, sad and funny, and has the power to make one consider the power words have.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

Quotes Helia Liked

Markus Zusak
“Like most misery, it started with apparent happiness.”
Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

Markus Zusak
“The consequence of this is that I'm always finding humans at their best and worst. I see their ugly and their beauty, and I wonder how the same thing can be both. (Death)”
Markus Zusak, The Book Thief