Thomas Litchford's Reviews > Consider Phlebas

Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks

If you're looking for some hard-edged, well-written science fiction, you'll like Iain M. Banks. This was my first Banks novel. He showed up on my radar when I read a particularly favorable cover blurb on his latest book, Transition, from William Gibson. So I did some checking.

Turns out, Banks is quite well-regarded by readers of science fiction (Consider Phlebas is 100 percent space opera--frak-tastic space opera) as well as his more, er, literary efforts, which he writes as Iain Banks (no middle initial).

In fact, everything I read about his work was so positive that I began collecting his sci-fi books before I read even one of them. The problem was, Consider Phlebas is hard to find, and I wanted to read it first.

Finally, it came out in a Kindle edition, which I had preordered. One day it just showed up on my home screen, and I jumped right in as soon as I finished The Blind Side.

It's a good book. The imagination on this guy and his willingness to see things through to their gruesome conclusions make for a sometimes jaw-dropping reading experience. It's a quite good introduction to his work. I gave it four stars instead of five because it felt a little like he painted himself into a corner toward the end of the book, but even then he kept me interested.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Consider Phlebas.

January 17, 2010 – Started Reading