Gabriella's Reviews > The Alchemyst

The Alchemyst by Michael Scott

I've read the first three books in this series, although I'm not entirely sure why. I really don't like it that much, so I've decided that I'm gonna stop. I don't intend on picking up the next book in this six part series. >.>

Anyway, what I hate most about this series is the twins, and the lack of Nicholas Flamel. One reviewer said that there’s not enough of him, and I gotta agree. I mean, the series is called The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel but it really should be called The Adventures of the Incredibly Annoying Newman Twins, Josh and Sophie ‘cause the whole book is centered around them. And what I hate most about the twins is how they don’t trust Flamel. I mean, the man saved your bloody lives, you insolent, unappreciative, little twits! And how do you repay him? By purposefully acting as irritating, infuriating, and maddening as possible! Ugh! I’ve never come across two characters as frustrating as the Newmans. They’ve even got Bella from Twilight beat.

Some of the other characters are kind of annoying too, like Scathatch (or however you spell her name), but they aren’t as bad as the twins.

The slew of fight scenes were also very tiresome, but they didn’t get to me as much as the twins did. I just really hate fight scenes in stories ‘cause they’re always so hard for me to follow, and boring as crap. And these books have a lot of ‘em. If you took out all the fight scenes, the books would easily be half their original size.

I suppose I’d like these books more if the twins weren’t so damn stupid, or if they had just died… I did like St. Germain though. And Machiavelli.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alchemyst.