Ruth Hill's Reviews > Shadowed by Grace

Shadowed by Grace by Cara C. Putman

bookshelves: 2014-reads, christian, historical

When I commenced my reading of this book, I wasn't sure what I thought of it. I generally savor and appreciate historical books, and WWII is a time period I generally relish. Because I was fairly certain of the predictable outcome of the inserted romance, I was not terribly enthused. The Christian message was generally pleasing but I was rather lethargic about continuing it. I assumed I would give it a lower a rating.

However, as I persevered, I soon discovered that there was more depth to this story than I realized. The book was historically dense, and I was completely oblivious to how the war affected Italy. That seems to be one of the countries that is only mentioned in passing. Envisioning a female photographer who fearlessly took breathtaking photos from the front lines made the story all the more intriguing. The Christian message was subtle but strong. And the last third of the book was filled with intense action and a bit of pathos. Althought the romance was sappy I was able to excuse that due to the amazing story this Christian novel told.

I had not realized until I was well into the book that this was a story similar to the "Monument Men" film that is out now. I am even more interested in going to view that film in light of what I have read here.

I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. I was not financially compensated, and all opinions are 100 percent mine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowed by Grace.

February 13, 2014 – Shelved