Nina's Reviews > The Art of Letting Go

The Art of Letting Go by Anna Bloom

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, new-adult, romance, reviewed

Does anyone really write a journal in such a way? The way that Lilah wrote her journal was like she recorded every single thing that happened to her throughout the day. Don't get me wrong. I love writing and reading vivid descriptions of day-to-day experiences. Yet it occurred to me as if Lilah wasn't just narrating what happened to her during the day but as if it was happening right at that moment. Is it confusing? Well, read the book so you'd understand. Though I really don't have an issue with that. It just felt weird to me somehow. Maybe it won't to you so you'll see.

What can I say? Lilah was probably the most annoying female main character I can think of right now. She's 25 years-old yet she had the mind of a freaking teenager. No, seriously. I was tempted to stop reading a lot of times because she was annoying. She was self-centered, impulsive, and just really stupid. I swear I want to take her out from the book and slap her just so she'll wake up from her dreamland. I admired her for standing up against her family and for starting a life of her own. She was brave to start at Uni even though she's older than the others. I thought she was going to be this renewed mature lady but I was wrong, very wrong. All along I thought that her getting out of her parents is about growing up. How can she let her roommate who in fact was an 18-year-old girl get lost in the wild like that? I know college is supposed to be the time to be young, wild and free but can't she be a little more mature and act as a good friend to her? I was absolutely irritated by Lilah's uncontrollable consumption of alcohol. It would be fine if she can handle herself but she cannot. And to think that she kept on doing it. WHY CAN'T SHE BE MATURE??? Not just that. She made some terrible decisions because as I have told you, she was selfish, impulsive and very much of an immature person. Yet she kept on trying so I had to give it to her. That's why I still have faith on her.

Now, I would sound like I hate this book. Totally not. Despite the negativity of Lilah, there comes Ben. I absolutely know that it was love at first sight for Ben but I don't care. He definitely is one of the sweetest out there. There were times when I just want to hug him because I believe he didn't deserve to be treated like that. No words necessary anymore. Ben is such a sweetheart with an angelic voice.

So what made me like this? As much as I was irritated at Lilah, this was fun to read. I enjoyed it more than I should. I kept on laughing because the minor characters were great. My favorite's her twin brother, Tristan. The minor characters and Ben, the humor and the writing kept me sane throughout the novel. They balanced out anything that made me dislike Lilah.

The story of learning how to let go caught me in the first place. But the idea of letting go that I had and what was in the novel were different. It wasn't exactly how I thought it would be executed. I felt that it was somehow lacking the realities that go with it. Something happened so Lilah let Ben go. It wasn't because she needed to let him go but because she JUST wanted to. Very impulsive I can say. And that totally didn't feel right to me. Especially when she was that immature in some ways.

The title seemed to give it off. I knew even before I read this what the ending for Lilah and Ben will be. It was pretty obvious to me and even the title for the sequel. It just gave off everything. But I don't care. I still did enjoy reading this one. Must I say that them being together was fun to read about.

The Art of Letting Go is a sweet romance filled with music and alcohol. I know, might be the best combination to some. A story of love, hope, loss and the ultimate lesson of letting go.

Originally posted at The Bookish Confections

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Letting Go.

February 13, 2014 – Shelved