Xandra's Reviews > Death with Interruptions

Death with Interruptions by José Saramago

liked it
bookshelves: surreal-fantasy-magic, 2000-present, european, humour, portuguese-spanish, nobel, by-men

On the first day of the year, no one dies. Death is taking a break, working on her tan and sipping cocktails in bikinis on the sunny coast of Algarve. Well, this is only my assumption and, obviously, a faulty one because death, who, as we all know, is a mere skeleton wrapped in a sheet, can't get a tan, not to mention the sight of her in a bikini would deal a massive blow to the tourism industry in the area. A more logical guess would be that she went to a more private place, like Mars. Easier to resit the temptation of stepping back into the job, too.

Don’t fret. There's still blood and suffering and human bodies injured beyond recognition and people getting old. Only now they're old forever and the pain never stops! And, as with any breach in normality, death's absence comes with terrible consequences: undertakers left with nothing to do and having to endure the humiliation of burying turtles and cockatoos, hospitals overcrowded with immortal patients in a state of permanent dying, retiring homes stuck with the same irritating people, the old threatening to outgrow in number the younger population, insurance companies in danger of losing their clients. Immortality isn't as great a thing as one might expect, life's still crappy, now more than ever before.

And before you ask if, in this country where no one dies, anyone crosses the border to see what happens, yes, they do.

It's all you need to know about the book. If this premise didn't convince you, I don't know what will.

(bumped down my rating from 4 to 3 because I hated the ending. hated it!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death with Interruptions.

February 13, 2014 – Started Reading
February 13, 2014 – Shelved
February 13, 2014 –
page 1
0.42% "This book sounds so ridiculous, I'm sure it's going to be great!"
February 17, 2014 –
100.0% "The first half was perfect, the rest was good, but the ending sucks."
February 17, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Ema (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ema I loved the opening paragraph, very funny! Hmm, the ending... too bad it sucked! Yet, I'll read it too at some point (don't know when), as the premise does sound intriguing.

Xandra If you liked the opening paragraph of this review, chances are you'll like the book. The first half was very good and I just love Saramago and his funny, distinct style of storytelling. He kinda reminds me of my grandfather.