Michele Weiner's Reviews > Brother, I'm Dying

Brother, I'm Dying by Edwidge Danticat

F 50x66
Jan 16, 2010

Read on January 16, 2010

I loved this book, which is the story of the author and her family in Haiti and in the US. It is probably pointless to go into the details. Her father left for the US to escape Haiti, while his brother remained. The ending is very sad. And shameful. I hope you'll read it. Tonight I watched CNN long enough to see that an effort to distribute high-protein biscuits to the earthquake survivors in Haiti ended with the UN truck and volunteers being forced to abandon a huge group of citizens after some young thugs grabbed food from the weakest, threatened the UN personnel trying to help them, and then shouted that the biscuits were bad and should not be eaten, so that the starving people threw them away, suspecting that the white devils were trying to poison them. Or maybe they had to throw them away to avoid being beaten up by the thugs. The UN people, feeling threatened, peeled out, chased by thugs, and went to another neighborhood to distribute the food, which was perfectly good, of course. This is an incident that sounds much like what happened to the Dantica family patriarch in Port au Prince years ago. Nothing changes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brother, I'm Dying.