Angel 's Reviews > Welcome to the Jungle

Welcome to the Jungle by Jim Butcher

190365
Jan 16, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy-and-speculative, graphic_novels_and_comics, mystery-and-detective
Read from January 16 to 17, 2010

I will open by saying that I have not read any of the Dresden Files novels, but I have heard of them enough. I do enjoy graphic novels, so this seemed like a good chance to read a tale of Harry Dresden in a format I enjoy. I was not disappointed. It was a good whodunit with plenty of action and the feel of a private detective story. If nothing else, Dresden stories seem a lot better than some of the crap that is passing for urban fantasy these days. The art was pretty good. It is a very fast paced read; it goes down easy. What starts as an animal attack in a zoo turns to something a bit more sinister. Just another day on the job for the resident wizard private eye. Overall this story has made me curious enough to consider reading one or two of the novels. I think fans of this series will like it. Casual graphic novel readers and fantasy readers may enjoy it as well.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Welcome to the Jungle.

message 1: by Lisamarie (new)

Lisamarie "... Dresden stories seem a lot better than some of the crap that is passing for urban fantasy these days."

Hee hee. I've only read a few of them, but, they really are!

Angel Lisamarie wrote: ""... Dresden stories seem a lot better than some of the crap that is passing for urban fantasy these days."

Hee hee. I've only read a few of them, but, they really are!"

If you have read the Dresden files, you will probably like this one. It does read pretty fast. I certainly think it can work with reluctant youths for instance.

And yes, as someone who likes some urban fantasy, I do despair over the stuff that gets published these days. ;)