Shandra's Reviews > Stone Guardian

Stone Guardian by Danielle Monsch

it was ok
bookshelves: buddy-read

Edit 12/23/14: I'm going through some of my previous reads and adjusting ratings I felt were too generous. This is one. I'm dropping this one down to 2.5 stars because while looking at my other three star reads, this one doesn't sit on a level playing field with how they made me feel. I won't be continuing this series.

Buddy read with Jenny, Tandie, Athena, Annette, and Catherine starting 3/15.

3 stars. Any spoilers will be clearly marked.

So I participated in this group read, right? Well, I think I'm the only one that actually liked it. One more person is still finishing it up, so I can't speak for her. However, I saw the gleaming reviews from *cough* several of my friends and dove in. I didn't realize it was PNR. I really don't like PNR…it's totally not my cuppa tea. Gimme blood, guts, gore, mayhem, terrifying nail biting scenes annnnny day. Gimme romance? BAAAARF!!!!!!! So, in fairness to this book, it's my fault I didn't like it more.

With the above being said, I actually did end up liking it!! Three stars from me means it has some flaws, but I liked it. Three stars isn't a bad rating. With it being PNR, there wasn't as much cheese (IMO) or romance as I had anticipated when I started it (after realizing that I was walking into PNR). Some of the things Terak says drove me a little insane, as did the sex scenes. But, all in all, it was a good story….

While I wasn't in love with the romance happening in this story, I totally liked the idea of the different Realms. I loved the plethora of supernatural beings I was greeted with!!! Gargoyles, Orcs, werewolves, elves, dwarves, dragons, vampires….and so on!!! It was so much fun to me!! Plus, I've yet to read a book with a gargoyle as a lead character. That was just insanely cool to me!!

While this book definitely had it's flaws, I think if you're into PNR and like the idea of a bazillion different types of beings, I think you may enjoy this one. I'm definitely shocked I ended up liking it as much as I did!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stone Guardian.

February 12, 2014 – Shelved
February 12, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 24, 2014 – Shelved as: buddy-read
March 15, 2014 – Started Reading
March 15, 2014 –
0.0% "Alright...I'm starting this...I think I'm the last to start. And based on my buddies updates, I've become apprehensive. *gulp* Wish me luck!!"
March 15, 2014 –
12.0% "Nothing is bugging me about the story so far. I do smell the romance approaching...and I fear it is going to make me barf. I hope I'm wrong!!"
March 16, 2014 –
28.0% "No romance induced barfing yet...but just had a minor gag. Otherwise, I'm hanging on..."
March 16, 2014 –
39.0% "'And I'm supposed to care about the opinion of someone who drools over corpses? Your implants have more sense than you do.' BAHAHAHAHAHA!!! So, I really like Laire!! Hehe. She's funny!!"
March 16, 2014 –
54.0% "Oh snap!! No wonder Valry is such a biznatch!!"
March 16, 2014 –
67.0% "Where's Terak?! Gahhhhh"
March 16, 2014 –
86.0% "I want to hurt Garof very, very badly!!!!!"
March 16, 2014 –
100.0% "I enjoyed that much more than I thought I would, based on the rest of the girls in the group read's feelings. Review to come."
March 16, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)

Athena Shardbearer I'm excited! Woohoo!

Annette (booknerderie) Can't wait!!! It's been sitting patiently on my book shelf :)

Shandra I'm looking forward to it as well!!! It sounds like a good one!!

Annette (booknerderie) I'm sure that was meant for Shandra buuuut I'll be starting this evening.

Athena Shardbearer I will be starting a little later as well. Maybe tonight.

Annette (booknerderie) Ohhhhh *facepalm* I doesn't read that goods :)

Shandra JennyJen wrote: "Did youse start?"

Not yet. I have about 50 pages left in Death, the Devil, and the Goldfish. When I'm through, I'll start this one. :0) Soooon!!

Shandra JennyJen wrote: "I'm about 11% in. Not bad, so far. Put it on hold for bit to do other thangs."

I hope it holds up!!!! I wanna love it!!! It sounds awesome...

Athena Shardbearer just coming back from dinner and getting right back into the madness. Its fast paced...but we will see where it leads.

Shandra Athena wrote: "just coming back from dinner and getting right back into the madness. Its fast paced...but we will see where it leads."

I'm only one chapter in. Too early to make a judgement on it.

Shandra LOL. I got about 9% in and my fiancé was bugging me to make s'mores cupcakes. Now they're in the oven, and I can read in peace...at least until I need to frost them. ;0) So far, I'm liking the book. But it's still fairly early.

Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤ Damn I would have read this with you guys! But......now seeing some status updates, maybe it was a good idea I'm not.
Muahahah

Shandra Shandra wrote: "LOL. I got about 9% in and my fiancé was bugging me to make s'mores cupcakes. Now they're in the oven, and I can read in peace...at least until I need to frost them. ;0) So far, I'm liking the book..."

It's not too late...I'm the slow bloomer at 9%. So far, I'm enjoying it.

Athena Shardbearer yeah I stopped because mine wanted to watch a movie. ill get back to it in the morning

Shandra JennyJen wrote: "Catherine insists I should go on for the lulz.

For the lulz. -_-"

Bahahahahaha!!!!!

Catherine Welp, I finished. Not horrible but definitely not great. And sorry, Jenny, lulz were few and far between :(

Shandra Catherine wrote: "Welp, I finished. Not horrible but definitely not great. And sorry, Jenny, lulz were few and far between :("

Well, hell....I was soooooo pumped for this read....

message 18: by Cathryn (new)

Cathryn Uh oh. Not looking good for this. Surprising considering who liked it.

message 19: by Cathryn (new)

Cathryn I'll probably still read it since I have it on my kindle already.

Shandra Cathryn wrote: "I'll probably still read it since I have it on my kindle already."

So far it don't dislike it. It's not amazing, but I don't dislike it. If I start to, I'll DNF it.

Athena Shardbearer I'm pulling through for you.

Athena Shardbearer I agree friend! Great review. This is my first PNR with a gargoyle lead male as well so I like that aspect. I'm getting the reading done!

Annette (booknerderie) I'm glad you ended up liking. Can't believe some of your buddies left you alone to read it...*looks around guiltily*

Shandra Athena wrote: "I agree friend! Great review. This is my first PNR with a gargoyle lead male as well so I like that aspect. I'm getting the reading done!"

Thank you!! I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it when you finish it.

Shandra Annette wrote: "I'm glad you ended up liking. Can't believe some of your buddies left you alone to read it...*looks around guiltily*"

Haha, we will leave those two nameless…but we know who they are…
:-P

I'm surprised I liked it, to be honest…I didn't feel like the romance was overdone. And I think what really got me was the bazillion supernatural characters!! I LOVED THAT!!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

And pirates, Highlanders, Southern sugar barons... ;)

Shandra NO WAY JENNY!!!!

I just really liked the abundance of supernatural characters. I really wasn't into the romance bit of it, but that seemed like a side story to me. Don't worry, I'm still your horror-loving buddy...nothing could make me stop loving all things SCUUUURRRRREY!!!

Loki, don't fuel her psycho thoughts....

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, I promise not to fuel her PSYCHO thoughts. Pervy thoughts however, I can make no such guarantees....

Shandra I'm down with the pervy thoughts ;0)

Shandra *clears throat* Miss Jenny, I believe YOU are the fan of PNR here...I recall seeing a five star review from someone on the first in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. *cough cough*

Catherine Shandra wrote: "*clears throat* Miss Jenny, I believe YOU are the fan of PNR here...I recall seeing a five star review from someone on the first in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. *cough cough*"

busted!

Athena Shardbearer I do love me some Black Dagger Brotherhood. Those brothers....yummy!

Shandra JennyJen wrote: "That rating is from 2005. We're not here to talk about the past. It's important to focus on the future. —_—"

Bahahahahaha!!! And in the future, you are preparing to reread those PNR books for the upcoming release. Nice try attempting to deflect onto me. :-p