Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > The Raven Boys

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Feb 12, 2014

bookshelves: audio

This was an unexpected surprise for me, this book. After all, Young Adult series books generally wear me out. So much angst, love triangles and such. But some trusted folks recommended this one, and they were right. So what makes this one different? Stiefvater does have a special touch, that goes without saying. But here she takes a historical mystery, a missing Welsh prince from the 1300's, and folds that into a legend, ley lines or pathways of mystical energy, a family of psychics, dangerous rituals, human sacrifices, coming-of-age, and friendship. If it sounds far-fetched, it is, but believable if you allow yourself to be drawn in by the author's words. The chemistry of the characters, particularly the Raven Boys and Blue, the 16 year old daughter of psychics, was palpable. These are kids that the reader (even a slightly cynical 47 year old) can really invest in. This is the first of four installments, and I couldn't be more thrilled. While the story in this book was wrapped up enough to satisfy me for a little while, there are enough questions in my mind that I've already raced off to the library to order book 2.

It bears mentioning that if you like audios, you won't want to miss this one. It is narrated by Will Patton, an accomplished narrator as well as an actor and is a delight to listen to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raven Boys.

February 12, 2014 – Started Reading