Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > The Dust of 100 Dogs

The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King

Jan 16, 2010

bookshelves: historical-fiction, pirates, ya
Read on March 20, 2010

This is a darn good book. I question its appropriateness for young adults due to some language and sexual content, but as an adult, I really liked it and devoured it in a day. The story goes back and forth between Emer and Saffron. They are actually one and the same. Emer was basically cursed upon her death in the late 17th century and after living as 100 separate dogs since, finally has a human body again, in the form of Saffron living in the 20th century.

18th century Emer is a tough cookie in war torn Ireland spirited away by an evil uncle and when the evil uncle tries to force her to marry a fat old bloke, she runs away and circumstances require her to board a ship and pick up a cutlass. She becomes a pirate to be reckoned with before her cursed death. 21st century Saffron aims to finish what Emer started and find some buried treasure and as she bides her time, deals with loser parents all the while visulizing poking out their eye balls or shooting them with used tampons from her imaginary musket. Wow. Tough chick.

There is also plenty of suspense on top of scalped heads and flaming maxi pads. Will Emer find her lost lover? Will Saffron dig up her treasure? She's got to get past a grotesque, crazy man named Fred first..

The dog angle is so minor, it hardly bears mentioning. After every two chapters or so, there is a page or two dedicated to a dog fact, advice, or a story from the viewpoint of a dog the heroine was in a previous life. I found it kind of irrelevant to the story, but being a dog lover, loved the excerpts nevertheless.

A fun read full of fiesty females. It's staying on my shelf where I can pick it up and read it again another day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dust of 100 Dogs.

03/20/2010 page 85
25.3% ""I loaded my musket with used tampons and fired into his throat. I doused a maxi pad with gasoline, stuck his lips shut, and lit it." LMAO!"

message 1: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim sounds good to me....adding it immediately...

message 2: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Thanks for the rec, Tara. This sounds like fun!

message 3: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Greenfield This sounds like a very amusing and interesting book, Tara.

Strong women? Check.
Dogs? Check.
Jumping back and forth in time? I thought that this was a definite NO-NO for you!

Never mind, you did it yourself in your review. Emer was both 17th and 18th century.
You are teasing us now, aren't you?

Tara Chevrestt Jumping back and forth is all right if done in a none confusing way. I actually like it sometimes. It has to be done just right tho.

Saffron is Emer reincarnated.

message 5: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Greenfield I often do that after a few pints of beer or a bottle of wine! I always feel that I am doing it just right, as one would in that condition, so you would be bound to like it.

Jumping back and forth that is.

Yes, I understand that Saffron is the 21st century incarnation of Emer who has been hundreds of dogs in the interim, but which century does she originate in? 17th or 18th?

Tara Chevrestt Oh. The story begins in the late 1700s... I may have jumbled my centuries. LOL. And Saffron living in the 1990s.

Lance.. LMAO!! I'm sure I would be delighted with your jumping back and forth. A few glasses of rum would probably see me joining you and laughing like a hyena. LOL

message 7: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Greenfield I have some rum right here. Do you ever add peppermint cordial? And a chunk of ice? Hot and spicey, and cool, all at the same time!

Bit too early for that here though.....

I'll stick to the zuma de naranja for now.

Tara Chevrestt I HATE mint. Ask my mum. She poors it over her ice cream! LOL

message 9: by Janet (last edited Mar 24, 2010 05:47AM) (new)

Janet Yes, I pour peppermint Schnapps over vanilla ice cream it is very good..

message 10: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Greenfield Sounds great Janet!

Have you tried rum and peppermint cordial on the rocks? As I said, hot and spicey and cool, all at the same time. I wish I could say that was an apt desciption of me!

message 11: by Janet (new)

Janet No I have not will have to give it a try it sounds wonderful.