Michelle's Reviews > The Chocolate Money

The Chocolate Money by Ashley Prentice Norton

bookshelves: 2014, contemporary-fiction, social-commentary

I’m rating this 4 stars with a big huge caveat. This book is not for everyone. Make sure you read the other reviews first. It’s raunchy with unlikeable characters and is very over the top. I actually think this is the point, which is why I enjoyed it so much, but if you’re the least bit squeamish or need stories to end with character redemption this is not the book for you.

In this we have Bettina, a girl who has grown up the daughter of a (self-involved) chocolate heiress. Her mother Babs is simply terrible but I enjoyed this about her. You feel for Bettina, even if she makes plenty of her own stupid mistakes (can you blame her?), but the author does a brilliant job of showing how much she loves her mom, despite everything. I used to volunteer as a CASA with the foster system and it’s so true… kids only want to be with their mom. The mom can be abusive, an addict, full-on evil and children don’t care. They want to be with her. There’s not a lot of emotional resonance in this book, and again I think that’s the point, but this aspect is deeply felt.

The writing is crisp and funny (in a twisted sort of way). Again, I was fascinated by Babs even though she’s horrible and has no business procreating. I thought it was interesting the author made her a non-drinker. Normally it’d be the opposite in a mommy-dearest sort of book. The twist at the end is somewhat expected, but still well done. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, including the peek into boarding school life, and would recommend it to the right kind of reader.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chocolate Money.

February 11, 2014 – Started Reading