Vicky (the Blowtorch-Wielding OotCDCB™)'s Reviews > The Silkworm

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

21619434
Update 21/09/14:
Rating: 4,25 stars.

My overall thoughts on The Silkworm were similar to those I had about The Cuckoo's Calling. It started out pretty slow-paced (the course of the investigation requiring many descriptive parts) and for a while there was a lot of random-sounding information, but once it picked up and I started connecting dots and making predictions (all of which turned out to be wrong; I royally suck at solving mysteries) I was totally HOOKED.

The mystery was very intriguing (a missing author who leaves behind a manuscript with libelous depictions - maybe real secrets? - of almost everyone he knows). The case turned out to be a lot grittier than the one in TCC, both sadistic and grotesque (there was a scene where I actually gagged). I was captivated by detective Strike’s sometimes random-sounding lines of inquiry and towards the end I was positively dying for him to reveal the identity of the killer and how everything was tied together. I wasn't entirely happy with who the criminal turned out to be. Without spoiling anything, I’ll just say given how GRUESOME the murder had been, I was expecting a bigger showdown at the end and the killer to be someone with an altogether different personality (view spoiler). HOWEVER, this didn't change how much I enjoyed the progression of the case throughout the book.

Something I really liked:
Helping Leonora (and Orlando) became something personal for Strike and she wasn't ‘just another client’. I really felt for the mother and daughter and wished them well. Or perhaps I felt personally invested in their well-being because Strike was invested himself.

What I loved MOST about TS (just like with TCC):
The real-ness of the characters, which were complex, flawed and portrayed without the literary embellishments authors tend to grant their MCs. If I suddenly learnt that Galbraith/Rowling had based the characters on real-life people (I know she didn't really), I wouldn't be surprised at all. Strike and Robin could easily be real, living people.

About Strike and Robin:
In my review of The Cuckoo's Calling I said I loved the duo but couldn't see them ever getting romantically involved. Well, I still stand by that, mostly, except that ever since a glorious chapter (Nº30) (view spoiler)

I've been having FEELINGS and wondering if maybe, waaaay down the road, something could happen between them.
I'm torn between wanting them to have a platonic Sherlock/Watson kind of friendship lest they ruin something great with stupid romantic bull, and (I can’t help it) wishing than someday, far-off after they've forged a solid bond, they will end up together romantically. On the one hand they seem to understand each other in a way I don’t see anybody else understanding them (And I really don’t see things between Robin and Matthew working out in the long run); on the other hand Robin seems to want a family apart from her job and I don’t see Strike ever being ready to settle down and have kids (he is majorly fucked up).

Something I missed:
There was a little less of the great sarcastic humor that I so enjoyed in the previous instalment, though there was certainly some of it there. Strike and Robin were each going through complicated personal stuff, so the atmosphere ended up being a bit more serious and angsty.

In a nutshell: I had a couple of issues with this instalment but mostly it was wonderful and I ended up caring for Strike and Robin even more than in TCC. I enthusiastically await the next book in the series.

Ps: What is it about Cormoran that attracts all those beautiful, clever women? I love his character and I think he’d make a great friend (loyal, provides entertaining conversation) but he’s also married to his work and pretty fucked up and it’s pretty obvious he would suck as a boyfriend. How do they not see this?

*********************************************************
Update 03/07/14:

My country sucks. Big time. There's a new import policy which basically means I won't be getting this (or any other of my much awaited books) for a while yet. SO DAMN ANGRY I CAN'T EVEN. *starts raising money to move to an English-speaking country*

*********************************************************
Update 16/02/14:

There's a title, a cover, a synopsis AND A RELEASE DATE which is ONLY A FEW MONTHS AWAY!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silkworm.

Quotes Vicky (the Blowtorch-Wielding OotCDCB™) Liked

Robert Galbraith
“Fancourt can't write women,' said Nina dismissively. 'He tries but he can't do it. His women are all temper, tits and tampons.”

Robert Galbraith
“Hard to remember these days that there was a time you had to wait for the ink and paper reviews to see your work excoriated. With the invention of the internet, any subliterate cretin can be Michiko Kakutani.”

Robert Galbraith
“You know, there's pride, and then there's stupidity”

Robert Galbraith
“Strike had always marvelled at the strange sanctity conferred upon celebrities by the public, even while the newspapers denigrated, hunted or hounded them. No matter how many famous people were convicted of rape or murder, still the belief persisted, almost pagan in its intensity: not him. It couldn't be him. He's famous.”

Robert Galbraith
“In the depths of his tiredness, surrounded by these blank, sheep-like visages, he found himself pondering the accidents that had brought all of them into being. Every birth was, viewed properly, mere chance. With a hundred million sperm swimming blindly through the darkness, the odds against a person becoming themselves were staggering.”

Robert Galbraith
“Though they spent so much time trying to make themselves beautiful, you were not supposed to admit to women that beauty mattered.”

Robert Galbraith
“Strike had not been able to guard against warm feelings for Robin, who had stuck by him when he was at his lowest ebb and helped him turn his fortunes around; nor, having normal eyesight, could he escape the fact that she was a very good-looking woman.”

Robert Galbraith
“Can I ask who you are, sir?"

"Yeah, I expect so," said Strike, walking past him and ringing the doorbell. Anstis's dinner invitation notwithstanding, he was not feeling sympathetic to the police just now. "Should be just about within your capabilities.”

February 11, 2014 – Shelved
February 14, 2014 – Shelved as: detective-detecting
September 16, 2014 – Started Reading
September 16, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014-reads
September 16, 2014 –
0.0% "Finally got this pretty baby in my hands.\n "
page 38
8.35% ""The Silkworm"...\n "
page 82
18.02% "This makes me sad.\n "
September 17, 2014 –
page 125
27.47% "Wooow. That was... no words. Except maybe gross!\n "
September 17, 2014 –
page 197
43.3% "I'm slowly but steadily starting to ship a ship that probably won't be endgame.\n "
September 18, 2014 –
page 275
60.44% "I feel like I'm floating on cloud 9! That entire chapter gave me SO MANY FEELS.\n "
page 357
78.46% "Could Charlotte be any more of a self-centered, toxic, manipulative b****? I don't think so.\n "
page 427
93.85% "I CAN'T TAKE THE SUSPENSE ANYMORE I NEED TO KNOW NOW.\n "
page 455
100.0% "\n Excuse me while I seat here obsessing over and fangirling about that last paragraph."
September 19, 2014 – Shelved as: i-like-big-books-and-i-cannot-lie
September 19, 2014 – Shelved as: own-paper-copy
September 19, 2014 – Shelved as: that-ending
September 19, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Sbeam Do you have tuebl

Vicky (the Blowtorch-Wielding OotCDCB™) Sbeam wrote: "Do you have tuebl"

I'm not sure what that is. I've never heard of it.