Jill Hutchinson's Reviews > We Two: Victoria and Albert: Rulers, Partners, Rivals

We Two by Gillian Gill

bookshelves: biography

I bought this book somewhat on a whim but also because I thought it might give more insight into the lives of Victoria and Albert. I was not disappointed. This is a dissection of their lives, both personal and "professional" with even a little of their sex life tastefully thrown in. A marriage made in heaven?....probably not........but certainly one that was much happier than that of any other monarchs before or since. The book covers the early life of both individuals which gives the reader a basis for their behaviour once they married and ruled England. Make no mistake....Albert may have been Prince Consort but he had much to say about how Victoria's reign was shaped and led to the "Victorian age". He was basically a self pitying prude who early in his marriage molded his wife into his image. She flexed her muscles from time to time during their life together but basically followed his suggestions which set the tone of their private and public life.
Toward the end of the book, the relationship of the parents to their brood of nine children is discussed, especially with the two oldest children, Bertie the Prince of Wales, and Vicky the Princess Royal, who went on to the the mother of Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany. The book ends with Albert's death which threw the Queen into decades of self imposed mourning.
This is a well researched, well written book which I would recommend to those interested in this period of British history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Two.

January 15, 2010 – Started Reading
January 15, 2010 – Shelved
January 15, 2010 –
page 35
January 21, 2010 – Finished Reading
August 14, 2011 – Shelved as: biography

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by ALLEN (new)

ALLEN Nice review, Jill!