Liza Wiemer's Reviews > The Last Letter from Your Lover

The Last Letter from Your Lover by Jojo Moyes

3152001

bookshelves: post-about-the-book-on-my-blog, real-book-challenge, ala

A giveaway for this book and ME BEFORE YOU (US only) is on my blog through February 17, 2014, 11:59 pm CST - thank you to the publisher for providing the books. http://www.whorublog.com/?p=2847

Jojo Moyes once again proves that neither time nor distance can put out the flames of true love, love that doesn't just connect bodies, but souls.
Take Jennifer Stirling and Anthony "Boot" O'Hare. Anthony, a reporter for "The Nation," joined Jennifer and her wealthy husband Laurence at their home on the French Rivera. From their rocky beginnings in 1960, a friendship and love is forged between Anthony and Jennifer, one that can't be destroyed in twisted metal and broken dreams. There are no true winners or losers in this novel, just lives lived, lives lost and lots of navigation through life's trials and tribulations along the way.

One of Jojo's established strengths in her writing is connecting the past with the present, intertwining lives with similar situations and objects. In THE LAST LETTER FROM YOUR LOVER, the object, of course, is a letter that ties the generations: Jennifer and Anthony in 1960 to Ellie and Rory in 2003. The parallels are so fascinating and at the same time heartbreaking. But Jojo has this way of taking heartbreak and smoothing the rough edges so that the reader is left satisfied and hopeful. This is a remarkable talent, one that makes Jojo a storytelling star.

Jojo Moyes is one of those writers that has created a body of work that collectively is masterful and insightful into the human spirit. I would normally say that every novel must stand on its own merit. That's absolutely true. Yet, in Jojo's case, she has established herself as an author who has immortalized characters who will stand the test of time. Having read ME BEFORE YOU, HONEYMOON IN PARIS, THE GIRL YOU LEFT BEHIND and now THE LAST LETTER FROM YOUR LOVER, I see the connections between themes she explores in her novels, and even the characters. To me, that is a tremendous gift and the reason why I recommend reading everything Jojo writes. Obviously, readers may relate better to certain characters, but there is no doubt that if you read for more than the pleasure of entertainment, there is a lot to be gained from the insights Jojo illuminates in her stories. She opens the readers' eyes to the serendipities of past and present, the lessons to be learned from the past and how they can alter the present and the future. At the same time, her novels remind us that we're fragile beings, and even though we have only one life to live, what we do, what we create can be a major part of the future. To leave a mark.

Jojo Moyes most definitely leaves a mark, one that will be read and seen for generations to come!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Letter from Your Lover.

Started Reading
February 10, 2014 – Finished Reading
February 11, 2014 – Shelved
February 11, 2014 – Shelved as: post-about-the-book-on-my-blog
February 11, 2014 – Shelved as: real-book-challenge
February 11, 2014 – Shelved as: ala

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Jaime (new) - added it

Jaime Arkin Great review Liza! So excited to read this one!

Liza Wiemer Jaime wrote: "Great review Liza! So excited to read this one!"

Thanks, Jaime! Like all of Jojo's novels, years from now, I expect that I will be thinking about these characters and what they went through. It's a privilege to read anything by Jojo. :D

message 3: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Kaplan Liza, this book sounds so good. I've been meaning to read ME BEFORE YOU since you raved about it over a year ago. I'll get to it!